Roof Rack / Carry Bars - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2004, 04:07   #1 (permalink)

frown Roof Rack / Carry Bars

Has anyone optioned up the $425.00 Roof Racks?

One site I read mentioned they are "WIDTH" adjustable (for wide loads)?? I'm sure they mean "length" adjustable between the front and rear of the vehicle, but was curious for someone to clarify this....
It appear Ford wish to capitalise (why not) on the fact that they have a custom rack fitting that no-one else has available yet.
I've got a Thule System with Kayak holders and 2 x bike racks which may appear to fit the Territory racks, but I cant bring my self to cough up another $425 when I have an existing $600 solution which will fit if Thule had mounting kit for the Territory rails.

So does anyone know what Rola or Thule are up too?

Cop ya's.
Bretto
Bretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 05:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: Roof Rack / Carry Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretto

One site I read mentioned they are "WIDTH" adjustable (for wide loads)?? I'm sure they mean "length" adjustable between the front and rear of the vehicle, but was curious for someone to clarify this....
It appear Ford wish to capitalise (why not) on the fact that they have a custom rack fitting that no-one else has available yet.
I've got a Thule System with Kayak holders and 2 x bike racks which may appear to fit the Territory racks, but I cant bring my self to cough up another $425 when I have an existing $600 solution which will fit if Thule had mounting kit for the Territory rails.

Cop ya's.
Bretto
Sought of. Not buying them as part of the car purchase, but getting them a week or so later.

BTW - carry bars are available for $373.20 if you have a good relationship with your dealer...and bike rack for $265.18... a total saving of $131.62 off list.

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:04   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsi
Sought of. Not buying them as part of the car purchase, but getting them a week or so later.

BTW - carry bars are available for $373.20 if you have a good relationship with your dealer...and bike rack for $265.18... a total saving of $131.62 off list.
Really appreciate the heads up on that sort of price saving Burnsi....

I'll take it up with Mr Wong. (Ford Dealer)
Bretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 23:32   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretto

Cop ya's.
Bretto
I have now received my new carry bars (Don't yet have the vehicle!!) and all I can say is just pay the price - either the retail or trade - they're a work of art! They're made of anodised aluminium and high-durability plastic/nylon, and all the locking/fixing hardware is stainless steel. The bars have a few unique features built-in, like:

An "owl's wing - their term not mine" which is a jaggered bit of plastic moulding on the leading surface of the bar that dramatically reduces wind noise so they say;

A positive locking pin that fits into the tracks on the Territory's roof, and enables the bars to be slid fore and aft;

A lock to prevent them from getting flogged, and;

A centre channel (under the owl's wing) that takes special captive nuts (4 supplied, and extras can be purchased in packs of 1 or 4) so that accessories (bike/Kayak/ski racks) can be bolted in-place!

And, yes they are WIDTH adjustable - just reach under the bar, depress a spring-loaded tab, and each side of the bar can be extended in 3 increments, out to a max of about 200mm each side, so that something larger could be carried. The load-bearing surface (before they slope downwards) of the bars in their retracted state is about 900mm, with both sides fully extended, that measurement is almost 1300mm - perfect for carrying 1200mm wide gyprock or MDF boards!! The bar extensions slide out from the centre of the main bar aluminium extrusion, and are very sturdy!

Just as a matter of interest, I also got a stack of other accessories:

Alloy scuff plates - nice two-tone alloy with adhesive bits on the back to fit them with;

Mats - 3 piece (2 front, 1 large rear) quality carpet with orange Territory logo, all with captivity fixings;

Cargo liner - HEAVY DUTY (no kidding here) 10mm+ thick black rubber with orange logo;

Mud spats - heavy rubbery plastic, with all the screws/instructions etc to fit

Dash mat - with all the right moulded bits and cut-outs;

Rear window & cargo area shades - these are great, their frames have been made out of spring steel, so that "coil-up" when you want to pack them away, but spring back nice and taut to lie against the inside of the window! They also provide proper storage bags for them to go in!

Ford is doing an excellent job with this stuff, I hope the car is as good as the accessories!!

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory