Satellite Navigation System - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2005, 05:09   #1 (permalink)

Question Satellite Navigation System

I am going to buy a Territory and would like to know if the Satellite Navigation system is worth the $3600 price tag. Is it very useful or is it just the world's most expensive street directory?
uarm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2005, 15:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: Satellite Navigation System

Quote:
Originally Posted by uarm9
I am going to buy a Territory and would like to know if the Satellite Navigation system is worth the $3600 price tag. Is it very useful or is it just the world's most expensive street directory?
I bought this option in my GTP in 2003, and was so impressed I got it in my Territory in 2004 as well.

It's a damned expensive option, but if you regularly travel to, or live in, a large city or large unfamiliar regional centres, it's great - if you don't do these things and the money is a factor, I wouldn't bother.

One thing it also does, is show tourist attractions, points of interest, major hotels, fuel stations, hospitals and other civic services - not all these things are listed - as you would imagine, but many are.

It also solves the driver/navigator arguments.

One thing that you can't do - which annoys the hell out of me, is input an address whilst the car is in motion. This is obviously a safety mechanism to stop the driver "playing" with it when in motion, but your passenger could easily be doing this, but can't unless you pull over.

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 16:31   #3 (permalink)
gz1

Quote:
The nav system is way more than a street directory. I can't comment on the territory one, as I have a navaman which i carried over from my previous car and it's really great. I can only imagine having the same type of system built in to the car would be better. The navman was $2500 when I bought it a couple of years ago, now you can pick them up for approx $1700, however if you can afford the ford option I would go for it simply for the integration.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 21:49   #4 (permalink)
Crash Test Dummy

I also have the SatNav and find it very good for all the reasons above. It doesn't always find the quickest way there but generally gets you to your destination. I have found a few errors in the mapping data from WhereIs but overall the product is reasonably good.
aswigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 22:29   #5 (permalink)
Australia's No.1 SUV

The map data is only as up to date as the content of the disk it was loaded from.
Territory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 23:43   #6 (permalink)
Territory - 2004 COTY

Quote:
Well yeah it is definitely a bloody expensive street directory but it is a pretty useful piece of gear in a place like Sydney.

The biggest issue I have with it is that the mapping often has incorrect suggestions about where to turn or where to go and can cause you a few dramas sometimes because you need to turn around or "out think" the directions and maps.

Be aware also that the mapping is pretty non existent in most rural locations other than the main road going through sommewhere like Bathurst for instance. It is a metropolitan area only option.

Having said all that, I enjoy using it and it's a good talking point for new people travelling in your car.
Organza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 14:10   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Its not the world's most expensive street directory - that's my 7 year old son who's brilliant on directions. Operates from the back seat, permanently in orbit and you don't even have to insert a disk to update him. But I believe he's going to cost about $250 thou up to the age of 18 so an SNS or street directory are definitely cheaper.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 16:40   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswigon
I also have the SatNav and find it very good for all the reasons above. It doesn't always find the quickest way there but generally gets you to your destination. I have found a few errors in the mapping data from WhereIs but overall the product is reasonably good.
I hope the mapping info for the Sat Nav is more up to date (from WhereIs) than on their website!!!
3 years after the M5 link through to Sydney was completed and opened (a rather main road, I think you will agree!!) there website still did not show it as anything more than a planned road!!!
Regards
Rocket
rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 22:08   #9 (permalink)
gz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket
I hope the mapping info for the Sat Nav is more up to date (from WhereIs) than on their website!!!
3 years after the M5 link through to Sydney was completed and opened (a rather main road, I think you will agree!!) there website still did not show it as anything more than a planned road!!!
Regards
Rocket
The Navman I have also uses data from whereis, but it has ALL of australia, including small country towns, and is pretty much up to date. It definetly has the M5 link.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 19:33   #10 (permalink)
Mondeo Obsessed

$3600 = New melways / UBD EVERY YEAR for 100 YEARS!

Unless you are ALWAYS driving in places you dont know (which is not common, given most people do 85%+ of their km's with an 8km radius of home)

IMO it's not worth it. I've had one before. Waste of hard earned $$$
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory