Side Airbags with running boards?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2004, 00:25   #1 (permalink)

Side Airbags with running boards??

I saw a white Ghia the other night....with running boards fitted! I wasn't terribly surprised at this, as I has read on here somewhere that they were, or soon to be, available for Territorys fitted with side airbags. However, when I approached my dealer about this, they said that, yes running boards were soons to be available for Ghias etc, but not quite just yet.

Does anybody have further information on this??

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
burnsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2004, 03:23   #2 (permalink)
Australia's No.1 SUV

Re: Side Airbags with running boards??

Dont sweat, the dealers get formally notified when changes like this occur. If you have your hand up for them, they'll contact you as soon as they get the green light.
Territory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:32   #3 (permalink)
Territory - 2004 COTY

After reading this thread last night I called my Dealer today and they said that Ford had notified them officially only last week that T's with side curtain airbags can NOW be fitted with the GENUINE Ford accessory side steps with full warranty coverage.
Organza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 17:48   #4 (permalink)

Have just had a look at the Ford\Territory website for the latest on the Running Boards being able to be fitted to sid airbag vehicles, and have noticed that the "Note" link about the Running Boards being available for side curtain airbag equipped vehicles for Q3 onwards is now gone - which fits with the latest info that they're supposedly now available for TS/Ghia and TX-side airbag models.

But......the last bullet point on the Running Board link says -

- Only available on TX without side curtain airbags; not available on Ghia and TS

Mmmm...I used to be confused...but now I'm not so sure!

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
Old 10-09-2004, 17:55   #5 (permalink)
Territory - 2004 COTY

hi burnsi,

can guarantee you that the Ford side steps are approved for fitment on side curtain airbagged T's. Was confirmed and sighted at the Sydney Motor Show yesterday.

Ford just haven't fixed up their website yet .... I bet. They are a bit tardy on most updates ... especially paints and trims and stuff.

They look quite good actually on the car ... nice grey and stainless steel look ... it'd be a personal taste decision I reckon because I can't see the functional need for them myself ... the T is pretty easy to get into.
Old 10-09-2004, 18:04   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organza
hi burnsi,

can guarantee you that the Ford side steps are approved for fitment on side curtain airbagged T's. Was confirmed and sighted at the Sydney Motor Show yesterday.

Ford just haven't fixed up their website yet .... I bet. They are a bit tardy on most updates ... especially paints and trims and stuff.

They look quite good actually on the car ... nice grey and stainless steel look ... it'd be a personal taste decision I reckon because I can't see the functional need for them myself ... the T is pretty easy to get into.
Ahh...this is good news. I am in two minds about getting them, but we are looking at getting one of those luggage pods for camping trips...so the boards would provide a convenient step to load/unload the pod. Also, I have the bike carrier, and getting a mountain bike onto the carrier without dropping it onto the roof would be far easier if you're able to stand on the boards I would think.

Blood Orange GT-P
Zest Territory Ghia AWD
Old 10-10-2004, 01:49   #7 (permalink)

Don't want to confuse anyone more but I've been told twice in the last week that the steps aren't available yet for the side ABs. Once by the local dealer last thursday and again at the SMS on Sat. They were't listed as options on the TS model plaque at SMS so I asked coz I think the kids need em to climb up and came back with a no.

The guys were a bit confused why they were on the display vehicle. Could be they were just wrong.

On another question, Have any of you guys seen or got cargo barriers yet? What price?
AJ's XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:28   #8 (permalink)
Territory - 2004 COTY

mmmm ... all I can say is that I'm 100% sure that the genuine side steps are now OK to fit to the side curtain airbagged T's.

I didn't notice whether the side steps were listed on the TS price plaque at the SMS but they were fitted to the car and when you think about it, Ford could leave themselves open to accusations of misleading people (and also just making a whopper mistake) if they fitted the steps to a car you weren't allowed to fit them to. They could have fitted them to the TX on display if that was still an issue.

As I mentioned previously, I checked with my Dealer the other day when this thread came up and he said he had been officially notified by Ford, just that week, that it was now OK to fit the side steps to curtain airbagged cars ....

If you spoke to a salesman on the Ford stand about the steps it doesn't surprise us does it that he/she may not be quite up to speed, does it? ... no disrespect to them, but i'd think everyone on this forum knows more about the product than the sales guys ... LOL
Old 10-10-2004, 03:43   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organza
mmmm ... all I can say is that I'm 100% sure that the genuine side steps are now OK to fit to the side curtain airbagged T's.

I didn't notice whether the side steps were listed on the TS price plaque at the SMS but they were fitted to the car and when you think about it, Ford could leave themselves open to accusations of misleading people (and also just making a whopper mistake) if they fitted the steps to a car you weren't allowed to fit them to. They could have fitted them to the TX on display if that was still an issue.

As I mentioned previously, I checked with my Dealer the other day when this thread came up and he said he had been officially notified by Ford, just that week, that it was now OK to fit the side steps to curtain airbagged cars ....

If you spoke to a salesman on the Ford stand about the steps it doesn't surprise us does it that he/she may not be quite up to speed, does it? ... no disrespect to them, but i'd think everyone on this forum knows more about the product than the sales guys ... LOL
Actually at Melbourne's Motor show some of the Ford people were Ford engineers volunteering to work the stand, so if you struck up a conversation with a willing engineer the topics were quite interesting.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:04   #10 (permalink)
Australia's No.1 SUV

Let me clear this up once and for all.

They have completed side airbag compatibility testing using the Ford official running boards. They are approved for fitment to any Territory right now, including those with side curtain airbag. They can also be retro-fitted to any Territory.

Hope that helps! :)
Territory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory