Territory comparos - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2004, 05:56   #1 (permalink)

Territory comparos

Just wondering what comparison tests people would like to see the Territory put through. I've got a couple -

'Crossovers'
AWD Territory -v- Adventra -v- Kluger (maybe throw in Prado/Pajero too, bought by lots of soccer mums)

People movers
RWD Territory -v- Tarago -v- Odyssey

Luxo AWD Wagons
AWD Territory Ghia -v- Honda MDX -v- VW Touareg -v- Volvo XC90 -v- BMW X5
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 06:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: Territory comparos

Australian 4WD, May issue, has a comparo between Adventra and Territory.
Territory hits Adventra for a six.!! Not good report for Adventra.
casrms1450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:09   #3 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

I would expect to see Outback, Xc70 volvo and Audi Allroad in the luxo-awd wagons too.

Prado sits in the people mover category according to wheels.

I wouldnt expect to see the Territory win either.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:26   #4 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Dave, those 3 you mention are a "jacked-up wagon" format rather than crossover like the Territory and wouldn't have the interior space or extra seats (BMW & VW don't either though).

In the new Wheels mag they give a very good review of both rwd and awd Territory, predicting it would compare well with the X5.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:38   #5 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Well, I think for the sake of comparrison, the jacked up AWD would deserve a look in.

What about Range Rover ? For all intensive purposes, you wouldnt take that offroad, not that that price.

I guess it really comes down to what you discriminate the vehicles on - and what a luxo-wagon is. I took it to be literally AWD and a wagon, a critera that the jacked up meet. I think, in particular, Audi and Subaru deserve a look in, Audi for beginning the AWD craze, Subaru as being the soft road pioneer.

But thats just me.

Likewise, what are the Patrol and Cruiser then - 4wd Wagons or 4wd ? Seems silly saying wagon these days - what are the options - 4wd Wagon or 4wd Ute/Pickup - 4wd usually says Pajero/Prado/Cruiser/Patrol/Pathfinder/Cherokee/Discovery
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:37   #6 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Fair enough. I think the comparisons are valid if the vehicles would be looked at as alternatives, either based on price, or function, etc. Certainly the Territory would be an alternative to most of the 4wd/awds on the market - Ford certainly hope so!

One comparison that has not been mentioned yet is with the Falcon wagon - surely that would be interesting, if a bit predictable.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:43   #7 (permalink)
Corner Hugger

Haviong driven in the Dealership Drive-Day today where there were 85 various Territories available and then driven a Nissan X-Trail (no thanks!!) and Kluger (mildly appealing) back to back along a 40km route, I can safely say the Territory actually makes you feel relaxed, like home. Driving the X-Trail is plain awful in my opinion and the Kluger whilst refined, is not as good in the handling department although not necessarily a bad car. The Territory handles brilliantly for what it is, is supremely comfortable, looks gorgeous, is solidly built and well executed and has so many amazing innovative pockets and nick-nack holders that I would honestly completely change my motivation for buying a car to end up probably buying a Territory (it suits my lifestyle better) over an XR6. I'd keep my Focus as my little road warrior (it's not stock) and use the Territory as a going out car, family car and something to take friends out with. I'd take a TX RWD with 3rd Row seating personally, although that's the one coming out later in the third quarter of the year. Adventra is a V8 only which handicaps it and the public themselves on a promotional video were paying it out so we don't need to generally at the dealerships. The Kluger whilst the "smart" Toyota choice, is not only dearer, but isn't as dynamic, doesn't look as good (although that's a personal statement) and is realy that the smart choice, not the wise, fun and exciting choice which happens to cost less and subsequently be far better value for money.

I've decided, today was brilliant. I'll be posting a myriad of photos soon on a separate post here that RATT and myself took for us all to have complete access to almost every combination of colour and bumpers for the decision to be made easier when deciding on what colour we want. I think that's basically the attitude with Territory already amongst the dealers today... it's not "what vehicel do you want" but what colour Territory do you want. We'll see a LOT of interest and a LOT of sales of this magnificent vehicle, juding by the number we've already sold of those who've seen it in magazines and nowhere else, haven't yet driven or even seen in the metal. Amazing.

European Ford Owners Club - Southern Region President

Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:16   #8 (permalink)

I would love to know the extent of its offroad abilities therefore a comparision with Lancruiser and Patrol. I know Territory is not in the same market sector but would still be interested in how far behind/close it really is. I suspect groud clearance would be the big limiter for Territory but how difficult would it be to give Territory an "Outback" package with sump guard and extra ground clearance for a real option to Landcruiser for those in the bush, particularly those in the North and Central parts of this great country.
BeansNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 19:58   #9 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Todays Sydney Telegraph (an prob other News ltd papers) did a Territory- adventra (whatever!) Kluger comparo.

Terrier came out in front (or equal first) in every catagory, and won the overall with ease.
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 00:12   #10 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Beans, I would say the Territory would run out of gearing before running out of ground clearance. After taking my ute up a steep bumpy hill recently as a suck it and see exercise, first gear was not low enough to be able to go slow enough over the deep holes and bumps. Even if I had more ground clearance that type of terrain is best taken at walking pace, and at idle speed the engine doesn’t produce enough power to be able to tackle the slope.

If they don’t want to have low range, I would suggest that on the future 6sp gearbox they have an extra-low 1st gear as a half measure, in combination with higher ratios for the “normal” gears and a lower diff ratio.

More ground clearance would help as well of course, in fact there was a thread saying this was going to happen a month or so ago, taking the clearance from 180mm to 200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory