Territory and Escape/Explorer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 16:49   #1 (permalink)

confused Territory and Escape/Explorer

Where will the Territory leave the Escape and Explorer, neither of which are exactly setting the world on fire (anybody care to offer an opinion why? - especially the Escape v Tribute).

My guess is that the V6 Escape will disappear in favour of the (yet to be released) 4 cylinder version. Likewise the Explorer may go to V8 only - at least until the V8 Territory comes on line!

Any thoughts?
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2003, 17:00   #2 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

I was hoping that the Territory would blow them both out of the water, with a diverse range of models and options. Looks like it's the other way around, and the Territory will merely "slot in" the model lineup without asserting any authority.

Oh well...
Old 05-07-2003, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
RACE

Re: Territory and Escape/Explorer

Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln
).

My guess is that the V6 Escape will disappear in favour of the (yet to be released) 4 cylinder version. Likewise the Explorer may go to V8 only - at least until the V8 Territory comes on line!

Any thoughts?
That would be the prefered option IMO.
Old 05-07-2003, 18:13   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Ford may find it even harder to sell Escapes once the Territory arrives but Mazda are having no trouble selling the better looking twin, the Tribute. I don't see Ford dropping the Escape because the Tribute is doing so well and while ever the combined volumes are up it probably makes sense re parts holdings/services/etc.

Also the Escape may be a feeder vehicle targeted at the 20-somethings (single, couples without kids, small kids only) who may later move onto a Territory in their 30, 40's as the family expands or simply ages.

At the moment if they wanted to stay with that style of vehicle they would probably start looking to Pajero, Cruiser etc.

Explorer, what does it offer that the Territory wouldn't?

A bit more luggage space perhaps?
A V8 option

Ohhhh, it's all starting to make sense now....
Old 05-07-2003, 19:00   #5 (permalink)
Aussie Ford Fan

This is a small issue with the Escape but people that I have spoken to in regards why they like the Tribute better is the grey plastic bumpers vs the body coloured bumpers. Why doesn't the XLT and Limited Espaces have body coloured bumpers? The plastic just makes them look cheap......
  • Boss 260 - 5.4 DOHC 32 Valve V8
  • Boss 290 - 5.4 DOHC 32 Valve V8
aston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 19:23   #6 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

Why doesn't Escape or Explorer sell?

Simple really - people need to know they can BUY them first.

Perhaps the odd advertisment every now and again would help in the sales area.... oh! silly me! that would require a Marketing Department that KNEW WHAT IT WAS DOING!!!!!!!!!!

I see Patrol ads, Landcruiser and Prado ads, Pajero ads, Land Rover ads, Rav4 ads, Honda CR-V & MD-X ads, Tribute ads but what do Ford do?

That stupid Escapes playing soccer ad they've had to pull with the new advertising standards, and there has NEVER been an ad for Explorer that I've seen!

Sedative not working......
Off for a cry now!!!!!!

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 02:16   #7 (permalink)
wanna be burn out king

explorer seems to be a half decent solid 4x4 no reasion for them not to sell except there never advertised i think the escape looks cheap and realy its a softroader not an off roader and i havent see the Territory but im guessing its a soft roader too .
hahahaha bring back the 4x4 xy
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 03:58   #8 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

PLastic Escape bumpers looks cheap and they mark easy too. I dont really like Escapes, I can't stand any car that sqeeks continuously everytime the doors are open. They do have a nice engine though, very responsive throttle.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 04:11   #9 (permalink)

From my knowledge the Escape is imported in limited numbers. GP opted to bring the V6 only to fill in the gap for FOA. He didn't want to bring in the 4-cyl because it does not make it a 'spirited' car. And yes the plastic cladding on the Escape is a pain in the ass to wax...found that out the hard way.

The Escape and Tribute come out of the same factory in Japan but only share the same platform, powertrain and roof-line (supposedly) everything else is different. I chose the Escape over the Tribute only through preference of badge and a harder suspension set up.

If it's the volume for the escape is limited then there really is no point marketing it to death, if in the end they're just going to sell the same amount. From what I've heard it's selling pretty well given it's limited supply.

From a benchmark done between Explorer and Escape, it was actually the escape that faired better than the Explorer on an offroad track. It even pipped it's sibling, the Tribute. I'm glad they're bringing out the new Escapes with sunroof now...only wished they did that two years ago.

Future for the Escape? I hope NONE because if FOA had to dump the Escape due to the Territory's popularity, I'd be VERY happy with that.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:08   #10 (permalink)
goooone

I actually think the Escape looks alot better then the Tribute which looks woosy & plain to me but I agree most people don't even know the Escape exists but they have been advertising them alot lately in Sydney with some lady driving on a beach. i think only being available as a 6 hurts there sales too because it means they can't have as low a base price to bring people into dealers in the first place
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory