Territory Front Suspension & Rear Rattles - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 05:34   #1 (permalink)

Territory Front Suspension & Rear Rattles

Hi,
This is my first time using the forum. Hope I get it right!

Firstly to Kevin, Yes, you knock at 12-15 K's is normal ABS Sequencing itself. I agree with the replies, Ford should be able to eliminate it.

I have June '06 build AWD Territory Ghia. It has a consistent knock in the front suspension on uneven road surfaces. My dealer and Ford tell me it is the ball joints and is normal. I don't believe them. Anyone any clues?

Also have constant rattles in the rear cago area. Dealer does not seem to be able to eliminate. Again, any clues?

I would be most grateful.
John Hodges
John S. Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2007, 04:43   #2 (permalink)
The Knight Who Said "Ni"

Re: Territory Front Suspension & Rear Rattles

The only noise I have is that ABS thing - so no, can't offer any suggestions there John.

You could always just turn the radio up a bit
Old 05-30-2007, 20:24   #3 (permalink)

John, I have an '04 AWD Ghia and can report the same constant rear rattling. I've been through two dealers, and had the tailgate, suspension, plastic trim, seat leather, seat bolts and rear seat base all adjusted with no improvement. Was finally told that it was just the leather trim squeaking against itself, as the problem did not exist in non-leather models. There was simply nothing more they could do, and I should take it up with Ford. When I did so, Ford's response was a polite phone call from a call center to reassure me the dealers had followed correct maintenance procedures. I have now given up, and resigned myself to travelling about in a luxury SUV that jiggles and squeaks like an old ute.
play_gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 18:37   #4 (permalink)

To the guys who replied to my query about front suspension and rear rattles in the Territory:

Thanks guys for your comments. I too, have more or less decided to just put up with it after a getting no-where with Ford or my dealer. Ford even suggested I ring the customer response centre to discuss the matter. They won't let me talk to the suspension designers.

The whole thing gives me the s---s, especially when you fork out the cash for a top of the line Ghia.

John
Old 06-17-2007, 04:27   #5 (permalink)
fordmech

Hi guys
I've just joined the forums and read about your concerns. As a Ford mechanic I shouldn't probably be telling you this but, John, your suspension knocks are NOT normal, they could either be coming from your front sway bar links or your lower ball joints, which have been known to fail (read collapse) causing the wheel/hub assy to pivot upwards away from under the car with spectacular results and expensive damage. In any case, have them check by someone who knows what they're doing. There shouldn't be any freeplay at all. Of the 2 ball joints on each arm only the rearmost one fails (the one with the thread pointing up).
The rattles are a bit harder to find due to the amount of components in the rear cargo section but the most common one I come across (and for some reason other mechanics can't seem to work this out) is from the latches on the glass or tailgate. Apply a bit of grease to the strikers and open/close a few times and watch (or hear) the noise go away. I've also seen rattles coming from the third row seat due to dislodged release cables and ill fitting trims.
Hope this helps. Let me know either way. Cheers
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:54   #6 (permalink)
The Knight Who Said "Ni"

Marc! You could be very handy around here... Thanks for chipping in!!! :)
Old 06-17-2007, 06:40   #7 (permalink)
fordmech

Thanx bro, I'll do my best. :)
marc
Old 06-18-2007, 02:39   #8 (permalink)

Marc,
Many thanks!! This is the first positive comment I have received from ANYONE in the Ford Heiarchy in twelve months. As soon as I have received some action from someone I will let you know.

Again, thanks.

John H.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:46   #9 (permalink)
fordmech

HA!, Don't make me laugh!!! Part of the Ford Hierarchy ??? That's a good one!!! But seriously, you're welcome.
marc
Old 07-11-2007, 20:27   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Marc, I'll try your suggested action on the latches.
play_gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory