Territory's Diff - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2004, 16:49   #1 (permalink)

Territory's Diff

Might have allready been asked but does anyone know if the Territory has the same diff as our GT's ect.. The base one comes out with 3.73 (now thats better) and the AWD vertion has 4.0.1( NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT)

If they share the same diff we now have a couple of ratios worthy of finding there way under our Falcons...

Anyone know?
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2004, 22:27   #2 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Re: Territory's Diff

Yeah I noticed that too. Looks like there might be an easy supply of 3.73 and 4.10 ratio gears for replacing the 3.45 and 3.46 ratio's in the current XR's and GT's.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:01   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Yeah I noticed that too. Looks like there might be an easy supply of 3.73 and 4.10 ratio gears for replacing the 3.45 and 3.46 ratio's in the current XR's and GT's.

I hope thats the CASE... Sees Rod doing a 12
Old 05-09-2004, 02:47   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Not sure how true it is, but i have heard that the BA auto sedans will go into limp home mode if the diff is altered from the stock ratio. In regards to the manual the computer will do something and put the car into fault mode.

Once again, i'm not sure how accurate or true the information is. Fact remains to this day no one has retro fitted a 3.45:1 in an Xr8 manual or a 3.73 in a GT or GT-P.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 02:52   #5 (permalink)

i'd be interested to know how it would detect such a chance? i'm sure a few resistors could overcome both of those problems
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 03:31   #6 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

In Motor they put an XR8 diff in a Xr6 turbo diff for the top speed run, had no problems to do with this I believe.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:52   #7 (permalink)

i wanna see how nice my GTP goes with 4.11. :D
Old 05-09-2004, 04:01   #8 (permalink)

would the gears from the diff be able to fit earlier diffs, like EB-ED ones...

got me thinking, look around for a written off Territory!!

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:08   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Territory

The M86 Final Drive Unit is fitted with an 8.6-inch (220mm) diameter hypoid gear set in either a 3.73:1(RWD) or 4.10:1 (AWD) ratio.
This drive unit is a hypoid type of unitised carrier construction. The drive pinion is supported in the carrier on two opposed taper roller bearings that are preloaded. A pinion positioning shim is located under the pinion head bearing cup while the bearing preload is achieved with a collapsible spacer at the tail bearing. The bearings and the pinion flange are retained with the pinion nut. The ring gear is mounted to the conventional two pinion differential. The differential is supported on two opposed taper roller bearings located in the screw adjusters.

BA

The Dana M86 LSD axle is a hypoid type of unitised carrier construction. The two pinion differential case and the drive pinion are mounted in opposed taper roller
bearings in the carrier. Differential bearing preload adjustment is provided by the screw adjusters. Pinion bearing preload is regulated by a collapsible spacer and adjusted using the pinion nut. M86 final drive units are fitted with 3.23 or 3.46 8.6" (220mm) diameter gear sets, with or without LSDs.

At present there are 5 tyre sizes and 2 rear axle ratios that are available for programming in the PCM although what impact they would have beyond speedo calibration is difficult to guess. Presumably there will be Territory specific flash for the PCM that contains the new ratios as selectable options.

Interesting times ahead.

Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory