V8 territory .. who cares? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2003, 19:21   #1 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

V8 territory .. who cares?

I think a lot of people on this forum need a reality check.

Guys theres more to life then XRs and GTs. v8s and Hi-PO turbo sixes are not the be-all and end-all! I get a little tired of people droning on and on that the GT is umpty-third of a second slower then a GTS or that the turbo is quicker then a XR8. Crying because ford wont put triple turbo charged V16 in a roller skate so they can scream LOOK at me at every traffic light.

In this country petrol is touching a dollar a litre, the speed limit is 110 almost everywhere and 50 in most towns (maybe it shouldnt be, but it is, thats life, live with it), the cops and govt are getting more and more omniprescent, so what use do I have for a car capable of 250KMH? I want a car that can cruise on 110 happily, I couldnt give F--K if reaches 150 or 350 or 3500. I am only allowed to drive at 110.

I cant believe that people are berating ford for daring to develop a car that is not a "wank-mobile". Have a look at the market and you will quickly see Hi-Po cars are a small part of the market, and family cars are the main game.

There is a place for peformance cars, sure, but there is also a place for NORMAL cars, practical cars with low ownership costs that can carry more then 4 people and their stuff in comfort, cheaply, reliably and safely, and they are the main-stream.

I dont abuse Ford for making XRs and GTs. I like them too, but they dont suit my needs (i would buy a Futura over a XR6N/A - same mechanicals, more comfort). but theres more to cars then rorty powerplants.

Why cant Ford make a family carrier to take kids to the soccer(mine play aussie rules), mum to the shops, the whole family and friends to the coast holiday, and dad to work in comfort and style
midweek. Who needs v8 when a six is as fast over the harbour bridge at peak hour, and nobody is allowed to go over 110 anyway. my six is as fast as your GT at 110KMH.

Some of you seem to think Ford is Australian for Ferrari, and shouldnt sell family cars but just sell road registered supercars. Hey VW make a profit and ferrari battles receivers. Remember the Model T? Ford started out and has made its fortunes by selling sensible cheap cars to working families

I love cars and motor racing, but I also realise that not all cars need to be screamers. The best car is NOT the fastest car.

The level of abuse I have read aimed at Ford for daring to develop this car is rediculous.
If you want a race car to take to the track.. make one yourself.

/rant mode off
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2003, 22:06   #2 (permalink)
goooone

Because if we wanted white goods we'd be on toyotaforums besides which did it ever occur to you some people still tow in this country & we still have many big hills to tow up where maybe torque would be handy & many people could also use the traction of AWD to get there boast up ramps or caravans through wet soggy ground etc
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 23:12   #3 (permalink)
gone

Re: V8 territory .. who cares?

Quote:
Originally posted by jemmex

I love cars and motor racing, but I also realise that not all cars need to be screamers. The best car is NOT the fastest car.

The level of abuse I have read aimed at Ford for daring to develop this car is rediculous.
If you want a race car to take to the track.. make one yourself.

/rant mode off
You have made some valid points, and am glad I was not the only one thinking this way!

and I agree, anyone can make a stock car and modify it to suit their needs, dreams aka the minginator!!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 00:10   #4 (permalink)

note to jemmex

your points are valid

but Ferrari are doing very good actaully

there one of the few low scale producers making good profits

its actually there parent company FIAT which is near bankruptcy
jey_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 00:34   #5 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

jemmex..

Whats wrong with Ford supplying the paying punter with a range of vehicles that suit their needs like the current falcon range does? That's all most people are asking for. A decent range to pick from.

Quote:
Originally posted by laminge
and I agree, anyone can make a stock car and modify it to suit their needs, dreams aka the minginator!!
True chief, but not everyone has the budget for a Minginator..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 00:38   #6 (permalink)
gone

So who told you to get married?

Theres a T series and Minge mods mate!!1

LOL
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 00:57   #7 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

ROFL!! Good point mate!
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:06   #8 (permalink)

jemmex
Yes absolutly,thats why ford make the futura,which is for mister joe average that has an interest in Ford.But as the old saying goes, horses for courses, there are guys out there like most of us on this site that do appreciate the finer products ford produce for the niche(our) market.Most of the guys on this site or anyone half car orientated like to have something that has a bit of attitude(if i can use the term) or that stands out from the dime a dozen magnadorery that every "sheep" seems to be driving,To me ford has that just little different angle about them without trying to hard.Which makes me want to buy their product
Old 05-10-2003, 02:57   #9 (permalink)
Occasional Goat-Getter

Well, as someone whose idea of a nice powerplant is a 221 six (with column shift), I see a middle ground.

I like chassis-twisting torque on a "built" car. One that creaks, lunges, rises up as you floor it. An LSD to help the car stay true when lighting it up. Exhaust that drowns out the straight cut gears. It's all a feast for the senses. Why do people play or listen to loud rock and roll? They're all "gut sensations" that can gratify, even numb with pleasure.

But on a road, as you point out, jemmex, it's impractical. So we seek a suitable conveyance. Race cars are for racing, and it doesn't matter what drops in "skilfully" on my lane, I don't appreciate it. They cannot know my mind.

FWIW, I would love to see dealers make track days for non-owners.

Just my 2,

Adam.
addo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 04:16   #10 (permalink)
AUIIIXR6VCT

If we are going to start this, then maybe we should be driving around in Focus's rather then Falcons altogether, when you consider the power that the standard XT now has.

Nah on a serious note, i think its everyones own personal opinion no matter how wrong that might be to someone else.

If Jo blogs wants to buy a Futura over an XR6 N/A then thats his choice, maybe he doesnt want a body kit that will scrape on every gutter in sight(not that this is totally true in all cases), if Bill Blogs wants to buy a GTP that is also his choice and his licence that he is willing to give up.

Just remember that not all us XR/GT drivers are insane, most of us are very mature on the roads and can handle just cruisin along with everyone else.

Oh and how many SS commy drivers am i seeing these days with out their fog lights on, the novelty must have worn off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory