What's the problem with window tinting? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Territory Ford Australia Upcoming CrossOver vehicle discussion forum

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2004, 06:25   #1 (permalink)

What's the problem with window tinting?

Hey all

I've been reading that some people have rattle problems after windows tinting is applied to their Territory.

What is it exactly that the tinting people do when they apply the tint that causes the rattles?

Lucky I dropped in here tonight because I have the T booked in at Tint-a-Car for window tinting on Thursday!

Thanks in advance for any advice / experience...

Cheers
Daabidoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2004, 07:58   #2 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Re: What's the problem with window tinting?

The door trim has to be removed.

My territory had the tint fitted and i had no problems.

But it was found out that the wrong tint was fitted & I had to have the tint removed & the correct tint fitted, then I got a rattle.
Probably caused through damaged trim holding clips/fittings, the dealership is going to rectify it. Not good for a new vehicle.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 13:34   #3 (permalink)

Same problem with mine - except that I always had the right tint...

When they remove the door panels some of the covers over the screws can be difficult to refit perfectly. My kids seem to really enjoy trying to pry them back off now if they see the slightest possibility that they are loose :(
lordricey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 22:42   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
The door trim has to be removed.
Why???
I had mine tinted at SolaTint, they did an excellent job without removing any parts....
rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 23:02   #5 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket
Why???
I had mine tinted at SolaTint, they did an excellent job without removing any parts....
So that the leading edge of tint is below the door trim to window rubber strip. If the tint is above the rubber strip, the constant up & down of the window will cause the leading edge of tint to rub on the rubber strip and eventually peel it off.

A good job will have the tint as close to the edge of the glass as possible & under the trim rubber.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 00:16   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Another tint question. The main reason I want to get it done is for the UV protection plus cooling is a secondary consderation.

Anyway, someone told me today that they think that the T has some tinting anyway, because it has "R9" or something like that on the windows. I looked at another car today and it had "R2" (nor sure if the R is right but the numbering is). Is this an indication that the glass is already tinted to a degree?

And more importantly, does the standard glass already have UV protection? I know that the makeup of the windscreen means that it is UV protected, just not sure of the other windows.

On a side note, I wish we could get some of that really nice looking dark stuff that gets put on the Klugers and the ML and X5s before they come into the country. It is significantly darker because they don't have to comply with the Aussie regulations...

But I would give up that darker tint so that I can drive the T :)

Cheers
Old 10-06-2004, 00:41   #7 (permalink)

Might have found the answer to my own question;
http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/article.html?&A=1625

Still in two minds though... We've got tint on our cars before and thought it was good value. I've been quoted $450 for the 3M Formula 1 stuff from Tint-a-Car. Reading the AutoSpeed article thought, the Sun-Gard Endurance looks pretty good.

mmm... I would appreciate any input on what you got and why.

Cheers
Old 10-06-2004, 04:26   #8 (permalink)

I requested tinted windows when I bought mine and they used 3M formula (Duhig Ford). I haven't had any problems and I'm happy with the level of tint. Two little kids in the back and I reckon the extra $400 was well spent it keeps the temp down and looks really good.
TerritoryiAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Territory