02 4x4 explorer 5r55w transmission problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 15:40   #1 (permalink)

02 4x4 explorer 5r55w transmission problem

Check transmission/OD flashing EB model. Manufacture March 01. 89k

5R55W-Harsh shift 3rd to 4th (minor on downshift). Otherwise acts normal. Tranmision fluid is OK.

Wondered if anyone has experienced this?

Where do I start looking?

Thanks Tom
Tom10e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2005, 04:16   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: 02 4x4 explorer 5r55w transmission problem

When was the last time that you have replaced the fluid itself? I know that you say that it is normal...but what are the levels and how does it look?
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 20:35   #3 (permalink)

I have a 2002 with 73000 on it. I have only had it 6 months and it started to shudder when it went into overdrive and also sometimes would take 10-20 seconds for it to shift into reverse. Both Transco and AAMCO said there were no error codes but it would have to be taken apart. I chose AAMCO, Disaster, They had the car for 8 days and obviously didn't know what they were doing. They finally checked with Alldata and there was an update on the software they didn't know about, so they had to take it to the Ford dealer to have them update the car computer. It now seems to be running OK. All for only $2300!!!

A friend, who worked for Ford for 30 years, said if it is a major repair, engine or transmission, it is best to take it to the dealer. They may be a little more expensive, but it will be fixed right and you will have it back in 1-3 days.
So I suggest taking it to a dealer and see what they say. If it needs repair, I know of no good transmission shop to take it to. They all sound like they know what they are talking about, but once they have it apart, they have you by the balls and what are you going to do, and how do you know if your fluid is contaminated like they tell you? you aren't there to see the pan when they drop it most of the time.

Good luck,

Carl
criechers` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 21:22   #4 (permalink)

mad Re: 02 4x4 explorer 5r55w transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom10e

5R55W-Harsh shift 3rd to 4th (minor on downshift). Otherwise acts normal. Tranmision fluid is OK.

Thanks Tom
Hey Tom, I remember my od flashing a few days prior to my transmission grenading! "boom!!!" Im not kidding! ford told me a pump failure caused the problem. 02 explorer 42k miles new transmission covered under powertrain warantee!

02 explorer is now at 49k with 2 more failures 4x4 hi flashing"bad module", & bad front hubs. $1300 repair not covered by powertrain warantee . I think I am going to buy another toyota. "im a t100 owner 171k & never spent a dime on it other than gas, oil changes, one brakejob,& 3 sets of tires!!!
jimbo179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:49   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom10e

Thanks Tom
I Have experienced this. I have a 2002 Explorer with the same transmission and it is being rebuilt right now. My mechanic said that ford is having problems with this transmission. I took it to two different dealerships while it was under warranty and they could not find anything wrong. I finally had to take it to an independent. Of course, it is now out of warranty. Mine started having problems at 40k but has gotten worse. It now has 82k and a rebuilt transmission. I am going to try and pursue ford to pay part of it.

Patty
Pattye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:41   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdrocks
Heres the only answer to your transmission problems for all 5r55's.

Level 10 now offering rebuild for 5R55W, S, N trannies that holds 600+rwtq!!! - ModularFords.com

Or, just buy my 5R55W tranny that only has 7,000 miles on it and in perfect condition! Shameless plug... hehe.

I posted that thread in Modularfords.com that the link goes to. Since then Lentech, and Art Carr have come on board and have started to build the 5R55W, S, N models of tranny. Just FYI.
rocket5979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:33   #7 (permalink)

Hi

First of all sorry for my bad spelling and grammar.
I hade exactly the same problems with my Explorer-02 as you describe above before my “crash”.
My problem is that I live in Sweden and there are hardly any Explorers after -00.
And there are nearly any parts either so my question is
-Is it the same transmission in Lincoln and Jaguar from -99 ?
They have the same number but a dealer said that it’s not the same anyway?
Is there some parts who is usable?
What exactly happens in the transmission?
What parts use to be broken?

Grateful for any answers
Best regards // Janne
Janne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator