'02 Eddie Bauer Explorer will not start (new battery) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 06:01   #1 (permalink)

'02 Eddie Bauer Explorer will not start (new battery)

Original Owner
144,000 miles
New DieHard Battery 6 weeks ago
I know the plugs/wires were done some time ago, can't remember
No signs of leaks or anything odd under hood

I pushed it into driveway yesterday so I could wash it. I push it because my garage and driveway are on a slope. It's easy and doesn't require starting the truck.

I did not get any water near the engine or even in the wheel wells. It was just a quick wash. I started it when I was finished and pulled it into the garage.

This Morning:
My normal routine, turn the key and let the electronic fuel system charge for a few seconds, then crank the key. It usually starts right up. But sometimes (maybe once or twice a year), when I hold the key for a few seconds, it won't start. If I simply wait 15-20 seconds and retry, it always cranks right up. I never touch the gas pedal.

Well this morning, all that failed. Then with the gas pressed and cranking key, nothing. What I do know: the battery is brand new and cranking. It sounds like the starter is working too. I just don't know what to check first. Also, should I invest in a diagnosis tool? I used to have one for an old vehicle years ago. I don't have a mechanic I can trust (yet). I'd like to know what's wrong before I have my Explorer towed to a shop.

I'm planning on taking off work tomorrow - should I replace plugs/wires?
Will a testing tool tell me if it's a sensor, filter or give me a really good clue?

Can anyone recommend my first step? A Process? And a diagnosis tool? And where to get one? A coworker recommended Harbor Freight? Walmart?
powermixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 07:00   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: '02 Eddie Bauer Explorer will not start (new battery)

The first thing I would check is the reset button on the fuel pump cut off switch. see pic below

Second, I would check the fuel filter. Its located under the vehicle, on the drivers side, mounted inside the frame rail. Be careful of fuel spray while removing the fuel line.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:38   #3 (permalink)
Always the student

check fuel pressure at the fuel rail
Check for spark
Let us know what you find
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:13   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the replies so far. I will reply to each once I get home (after work) and can see what's going on.

I did buy a CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool at Walmart ($99). It may help tell me. I feel as though I should have one of these anyway...
Old 11-02-2009, 04:29   #5 (permalink)

Sorry I took long to reply. The dang thing started after I purchased a OBD2 thingy (no codes). I don't get it, it just needed to sit for a while. Been running fine ever since...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator