02 Explorer Coolant Leak (not radiator) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 16:46   #1 (permalink)

02 Explorer Coolant Leak (not radiator)

4.0 SOHC Eddie Bauer
150k miles
Original owner
Original engine, parts
Replaced Transmission last year

I've had a very slow coolant leak this last year. A recent mechanic said it was the radiator, but I don't think so. Please look at this link. The leak appears to be coming from where the arrows point. I'm taking the truck to a local mechanic tomorrow morning. After I shut off the vehicle, it drips for a little while.

I'm just asking for any help so I can understand what I'm facing. Can you tell from the picture? Thank you in advance.
powermixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 17:08   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 02 Explorer Coolant Leak (not radiator)

It appears to be coming from the head gasket area.
Old 02-08-2010, 17:29   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Could it possibly be leaking down from somewhere above that point, or maybe blowing back from a seeping water pump?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 17:41   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Could it possibly be leaking down from somewhere above that point, or maybe blowing back from a seeping water pump?
Or from the intake manifold?
Old 02-08-2010, 18:10   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I've never seen a head gasket leak like that before. Have you rtg?
Old 02-08-2010, 19:28   #6 (permalink)

I'm certainly NOT a mechanic, but it looks like it may be the intake manifold. Um, what does THAT mean as far as $?
Old 02-08-2010, 19:45   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
I've never seen a head gasket leak like that before. Have you rtg?
I did see a head gasket leak out the side on something but I don't remember what it was. It's not unusual to run down from the intake or something else above. GM has been notorious for intake leaks and they leak inside the engine and wipe out the bearings.

powermixx, I don't know the cost but if you call around you should be able to get a quote over the phone. As long as long as you're sure that's what's leaking.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:19   #8 (permalink)

Well it's at a local shop now.

Wanted $40 to diagnose coolant leak and $80 to diagnose hard start issue. I'm only guessing it's the manifold. I'll reply with more when I know. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:38   #9 (permalink)

Okay so here's the deal.

Hard Start/Evap error codes
Back in November I had the fuel pump replaced. A friend of a friend (haha) did the work. Although not as expensive as a dealer or garage, I paid him pretty good for it. This guy charged me for and told me he repaired the entire pump - not just the little black internal pump. Well this shop yesterday tells me that's not what happened. Only the pump itself and not the assembly was replaced. And the pump was defective - according to this shop. Furthermore they cracked one of the connections and placed a hose clamp on it - in an attempt to fix it. And this 'friend" missed one of the hoses on top of the fuel tank - causing decompression and fumes to leak. Hence I had an "evap" code on the computer. So I had to get the complete assy replaced. So the hard start and evap codes are fixed.

Coolant Leak
Turns out it was the thermostat housing that was leaking. And this shop replaced the housing, a small rubber seal, a small rubber elbow and the thermostat. No more leak. Funny that the Ford dealer said it was the radiator.

This shop gave me the old fuel pump assy and I can take it back to the auto parts store.

At least I found a decent auto shop. He applied 1/2 of the hard start diagnosis to my bill, waived the $40 for the coolant test and was honest about finding a simple hose loose on the tank.

Smooth sailing...

Thanks to all for the input and replies. I appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:20   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Glad you got it all fixed. Thanks for posting back & letting us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator