02 Explorer Dual Auto Temp Control (DEATC) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 19:25   #1 (permalink)

02 Explorer Dual Auto Temp Control (DEATC)

My Dual Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC) used to remain in the same setting and would power on when I started the car in whatever setting it was in when I turned the car off. Now when the car is turned off then later restarted, the DEATC system remains turned off and I have to push the AUTO button each time to start it back up.

I'd like to go back to the old days but have no idea what is causing this. Any ideas? It works fine once I push AUTO.
obenourb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 12:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: 02 Explorer Dual Auto Temp Control (DEATC)

obenourb,

I have the same issue with my 2004 Mountaineer. It used to retain the dual settings, etc. but now "loses" them each time I turn off the truck.

Have you found any answers? If so, please share them.

According to my owner's manual, high-current fuse location 15 (power distribution box under the hood, next to the battery) is for "Memory (PCM/DEATC/Cluster), Courtesy lamps."

I'm considering replacing that fuse (a 15-amp mini fuse) to see what happens.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
MTeer04
MTeer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 13:01   #3 (permalink)

I fooled around looking at the fuses and my conclusion is that if it was the fuse it wouldn't work - period. Here's my hunch - my battery is getting old and on starting the voltage may drop below a point where a relay or system component drops the settings on this system. Of course, shortly after the car starts the voltage returns and it works just fine once you reset the temperature setting. My Explorer has seat warmers and they are experiencing the same symptoms. Also, sometimes when I turn the car off and then restart while warm (easy to start) the settings remain. Also, if I turn the key "on" but don't start the car I can turn on the AC settings, turn the key back to "off" and pull the key out. If I put the key in and then back to "on" without starting the engine all of the settings are still there. The problem is tied to the starting process and that lead me to my hunch of a failing battery. I haven't experimented with a replacement battery, jumpers, etc. but it might reveal something. Why don't you go buy a new battery and tell me if it fixes yours (ha!).
Old 01-10-2008, 13:07   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply. The dealer told me my battery was the problem as well...I figured he just wanted to sell me a battery since it was just a few months beyond my warranty period. What you describe is exactly how mine behaves, except for the seat heaters (those stay on regardless).

On a similar note, my CD changer (factory Ford CD-6) goes through a "cycle" or "boot-up" process with each start as well, like it would if you disconnected the battery.

I was hoping for a fuse since that would be a few bucks instead of $75 for a battery. If/when I replace the battery, I'll repost here...please do the same. Thanks again.
MTeer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:13   #5 (permalink)

Either of you have any luck with replacing your battery? I'm going through the same dilema now.
sebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 19:11   #6 (permalink)

Sorry for the slow response. It was indeed battery related. A new battery made all the problems go away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator