'02 Ford Exlporer LTD clicking (clunking) noise at rear of vehicle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22   #1 (permalink)

'02 Ford Exlporer LTD clicking (clunking) noise at rear of vehicle

There is a clicking (clunking) noise at the rear of the vehicle. This happens constantly when the vehicle is on and gets louder if the rear a/c (heater) is on, which, by the way, only blows hot air. any thoughts or suggestions on what the problem may be. the a/c was recently fixed, but is there a separate repair that needs to be made for the rear a/c?
tmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 17:05   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: '02 Ford Exlporer LTD clicking (clunking) noise at rear of vehicle

The noise at the back might be the fan. It could have a bent blade. If it's similar to my Durango the fan blades are horizontal and tubular in shape to save space. Kids can wedge things in there such as candy wrappers and the like. It's best to take the cover/vent(s) off and have a look see.

Does the front A/C blow cold? I imagine both systems are connected (most are to save on costs). In any case, under the B pillar, normally on the passenger side, you'll see the A/C lines feeding upward. The best thing is to get under and have a look; knowingly, the seal to the one line is bad or has ruptured. This happened with my '00 Durango R/T a couple years ago. The solution was to replace the lines with a single, front A/C line only or pay the $3K or so to replace the rear line with condenser. I chose the $200 front A/C line. I took a photo of the A/C lines going up into the B pillar with the flash on.

By having the flash on and looking at the photos on a larger scale, you'll be looking for a glowing green fluid. If you see any, you've found your leak. I say 'glowing' because it's much more pronounced than if you went under the vehicle and tried to guess on what fluid was coming out or if it was underbody gunk, etc.

If you found a solution to this in the meantime do let us know.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator