'02 Mountaineer O/D - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 20:34   #1 (permalink)

Arrow '02 Mountaineer O/D

Hey guys,
I have a simple question for those of you who are familiar with the 2002-2005 mountaineer. I am not sure whether my O/D is On or Off. See, when I press the button the light in the dash comes on that says "O/D Off" and when I press it again the light turns off. So I am confused because usually when something is off, the light is off. But in this case when the light is on it says o/d off, so what's the deal?

If you know the answer to this, please let me know. Also, what are the problems with driving your car o/d all the time?

Thanks for your help.
jherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 20:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: '02 Mountaineer O/D

My 2004 explorer is the same way, push the button on the end of the shifter and it shows the od off light. I think the only time you would want it off would be when towing, other than that you would want it on. Just the way they have set up the notification lights. Hope this helped.
dr_fosg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:27   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the help dr_fosg8! I kind of understood but I am still unsure as to whether it is on or off when the light is on.

Also, I thought O/D was just for when you were passing people and really needed a boost of energy, i.e. to avoid hitting a semi or another car. Because doesn't having it in O/D all the time waste more gas among other problems.
jherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:33   #4 (permalink)

I beleive as long as the light is off the od should be on. To my understanding of transmissions(which is quite limited :)), od is for cruising at highway speeds. The tranny will shift into the od which is a higher gear to increase feul economy and lower engine noise by way of the engine running at less rpm.
dr_fosg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 17:35   #5 (permalink)

If the light is off you are in overdrive. If it's on, your not in overdrive. Unless your pulling a trailer or in very mountainous traveling it's best to keep the OD on.
GJSmackdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 13:34   #6 (permalink)

jherrer, you have totally psyched yourself out! If the light is ON overdrive is OFF. For general purpose driving you want overdrive ON as you will get better mileage. Turning off overdrive locks your tranny out of 5th gear. This should only be needed when towing or going up or down mountains.
thehamstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator