'02 sport trac power lock switch issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 07:32   #1 (permalink)

'02 sport trac power lock switch issue

I have a '02 Explorer Sport Trac with power locks and keyless remote entry. The problem I have is that niether passenger or drivers door switch will unlock the doors however both switches will lock the doors. If I use the keyless remote or the keypad on the exterior of the drivers door they will unlock. The switch worked when I bought the truck 3 yrs ago but stopped a year ago.

I am an electrician by trade so I understand electrical principles but do not have a wiring diagram or know where the best place is to start.

All help would be appreciated.
kopr2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 14:49   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: '02 sport trac power lock switch issue

The remotes have a battery that you would put into a wrist watch. If you can break the cover open carefully enough not to crack the plastic; replace the battery and glue the cover back on. If the remote(s) fails to work after replacing the battery they'll need to be synchronized (so to say) to the vehicle's PCM in order to unlock the doors. The dealer is about the only place that can scan for the proper frequency to allow the remote to function. If one remote still works, the other remote should be programmable without having to go to the dealer.

Getting a Haynes/Chilton manual may also help in this regard. I'm not sure if it's online, but some factory service manuals can be found at Download PDF PDFTown.com | Free Download PDF and eBook If it prompts you for a password to open the downloaded ZIP or RAR file use 'pdftown.com' as the password to read the PDF files.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 14:58   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

You say when using the remote the drivers door will unlock? What does it do when you press it multiple times? On my GMC truck, press once for drivers door, the press again will unlock passenger door. When locking doors using remote, does it lock them all?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 19:11   #4 (permalink)

Sorry maybe I didn't explain it good the first time.

The remote works to unlock and lock all doors and the outside keypad locks and unlocks the doors. So the remote is not the issue. It is the inside switches on the driver and passenger doors. The switches will lock all doors but will not unlock any of them at any time. That is the only place I am having a problem. All other functions work correctly.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-26-2009, 19:45   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Sounds like a job for tbird, I'll send him a pm & see if he can help.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 21:18   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: '02 sport trac power lock switch issue

Power Door Locks
The central security module controls the power door lock and keyless entry system. The lock and unlock operation is carried out by supplying ground to the central security module from the door lock control switch. The normal path of the actuators is to ground through the central security module. The door lock control switch will lock and unlock all doors by grounding the appropriate circuit to the central security module. The central security module then supplies power to the appropriate common actuator circuit to lock or unlock all doors.

Here's the diagram, I'd look at the door jamb wiring first to make sure you don't have broken wires. From what I can see, if you remove the lock switches, and ground the PK/LG wires to ground, the doors should unlock. (Grounding the PK/YE wire should lock them.) If they don't you have a wiring or Security module issue.

tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:18   #7 (permalink)

Thanks tbird100636 for sharing your knowledge and jwko for getting my Q to the right person.

I think it will be a little bit before I work on this problem but I at least have an understanding of what is supposed to be happening. I am curious as to why both switches stopped working at the same time. If I remember right the unlock kinda worked intermittently before not working at all. Makes me think that it may be in the central security module but i will check for broken wires, switches and grounds as well.

Hope I find the problem with the info you've given and I won't have to call on you guys again. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2010, 23:16   #8 (permalink)

TBird - this, w/ a bit of electronics background should help me. Where would the CSM be on my 2005 Trac? (both door switches do not lock plus self actuating locking repeatedly even when car is off) (keypad and keyless work)
Thanks
bobstrac2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator