'03 Aviator Won't turn off - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 09:07   #1 (permalink)

confused '03 Aviator Won't turn off

This all started happening a little over a week ago. I pulled up in front of my house after coming home from my gf's who lives no more than 5 miles away. when i turned the key to the off position, the engine was still running!
The nav/stereo turned off, but engine still running. I turned the key back to the on position and the nav/stereo turned back on. Switch the key off, and same thing.. engine still running but everything else is off :/ I pressed on the accelerator and it rev'd up.. i pressed on the brake and that turned it off.

THEN when i was out of the car and pressed the lock button on the remote, it beeped twice (once is locked, twice is locked but something is open). I checked and opened/closed everything, from hood to tailgate, and still beeps twice when i lock it.

The engine not turning off kept on going for another day or so and went back to normal on its own. But its still beeping two times after i lock it.

Now 5 days later, I just got back from my gf's house and its doing the same thing; engine won't turn off unless i press brake!

anyone ever heard of something like this happened before or is my car possessed?
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2011, 09:19   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: '03 Aviator Won't turn off

Do you have a remote start on it?
Old 01-28-2011, 10:00   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Do you have a remote start on it?
nope, but i recently bought a bluetooth OBD scanner that i keep plugged in. i unplugged it after the engine not turning off stopped to see if it had something to do with the beeping twice after lock and just plugged it back in yesterday..

I'll go unplug it now and leave it out for a while to see if that helps.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:45   #4 (permalink)

I've had it unplugged since my last post. it turned off once with out having to press brake, but still same thing every other time. And it still beeps twice after pressing the lock button 2x :/
Old 01-30-2011, 08:24   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If you lock it with the remote and repress the lock again, it will beep once. That's to let you know it's locked. If it beeps twice, something isn't closed. See page 158 of the owners manual. If it does beep twice, spray WD40 in all of the door latches and open and close them a few times. The door open switch might be sticking.
Old 02-11-2011, 17:39   #6 (permalink)

I know what the beep twice means, i just felt like i had to mention it because both (the not turning off and beeping twice, although i checked all doors and hood) started happening at the same time..

WELL today i found the reason why.

I opened up my hood and noticed a rather large pile of leaves on the left side of the engine, between the air filter box and firewall.
I thought it was odd that all those leaves had accumulated there and i took them all out to reveal the following:

now this is how i found the wires, i did not move them to be spread out like that.

My first thought was FORD! Because the dealership was the last work on my car. They had changed my coil packs, so i though that they had removed the air filter box and just shoved it causing it to rip the wires.

But then, after further investigation i have found several 1 inch strips of wire in little crevices. And thinking back to the day this all started, it was raining for maybe 2 days straight.
I have come to the conclusion that a rat has gotten in there and done this..

thanks for the headache rat!
Old 02-11-2011, 18:00   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Those rats can cause a lot of problems like that. I guess they didn't go to electronic school. Well, I'm glad you found it. Thanks for the update and pics.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator