03 Explorer Just DIED!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2008, 13:29   #1 (permalink)

03 Explorer Just DIED!!!

Hello,
I have a 03 Ford Explorer that just died at a stoplight last night and wont restart. The battery is good -ie- all the lights radio etc work fine. It is a v6 with about 66k miles. When i try and start it it does nothing at all. I plugged in a OBD2 Car Reader I got from my dad and it says error after it says read for awhile. When it died we were at a stoplight, turned green, hit the gas and the engine just stopped. No chugging or sputtering or anything.

Oh, and when the key is on it displays dashes ----- where the mileage and outside Temp are usually at. Any ideas that could keep me from paying crazy ford labor prices would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
jobad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 15:05   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 03 Explorer Just DIED!!!

I would start with checking battery and connections, especially grounds. Check fuses and fusible links. Just because the lights and radio come on doesn't mean battery or connections are good.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02   #3 (permalink)

Found the problem. 15amp Fuse that was listed as the HEGO,VMV,CMS,PTEC, which i have no idea what it all means, but am happy it started. Thanks for the help.

PS- The battery was nasty also. Learned a lesson with this one. Thanks again.
jobad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 19:23   #4 (permalink)

My dad used to have an Explorer used to suddenly die, sometimes with a slight jolt if accelerating but otherwise at any time such as coasting to a stop. No warning at all.
We never had an anwer, but we did pray alot in the car during long drives. I heard it could be a bad Idle Air Control IAC. Take a look at New Car Prices Buying Advice | New Car Dealer Invoice | Auto Buying Tips for more reviews and advice.

Try this wood kit in case you get stuck again. Everyone will be able to see you.
luvfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 13:24   #5 (permalink)

i am kind of having the same problem except mine died upon starting it. checked all components and did diagnostic and came back with a workshop only code. does any one know what this is?
bjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator