04 Explorer Broken Valve Spring - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 13:28   #1 (permalink)

04 Explorer Broken Valve Spring

Just got the news that my 2004 Explorer (69,000 miles) with a 4.0L engine has a broken valve spring. I have done some research on the web and found this has happened to a couple of other people. Just wondering what my chances are of getting Ford to pay for the repair and perhaps if this a common problem with this engine. I do not have an extended warranty. Thanks in advance.
FireEngineRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 18:21   #2 (permalink)
Darrell H

Re: 04 Explorer Broken Valve Spring

FER,
I have a 02' Mountaineer, 4.6L V8. Just turned 70K. Wife said it started running rough. My mechanic checked it out and came up with that diagnosis. Two broken springs on two different cylinders. Mechanic said third instance in his shop. He says the manufacturer would not acknowledge a problem Rebuilt heads with after market springs and replaced damaged guide. VERY EXPENSIVE.
Darrell H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 16:22   #3 (permalink)

Re: 04 Explorer Broken Valve Spring

My wife has an 02 Sport Trac and a few months ago it died in the driveway with a loud clank. Dealer came and got it. After a week they diagnosed it with three broken valve springs and most of the others were weak. They said it could be fixed. A week later they find that the valves had done damage to the pistons and for the cost of repair it would be cheaper to replace the engine. Soooooo...... at 98k miles we are now the proud owners of a $5k+ engine.
I've read a few forums with simular compaints. Seems like another issue the manufacturer has know about but won't come forward and make good.
I drive a Dodge and we both have around the same HIGH milage on our vehicles. I'm glad to say that I have yet to have any issues. The little sport trac has been good to us, up until the engine replacement.

HOPE THAT'S THE BRUNT OF IT!
deman_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator