04 Explorer/Mountineer AWD Dealer Brake Job Cost - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 21:29   #1 (permalink)

04 Explorer/Mountineer AWD Dealer Brake Job Cost

After 50,000 miles of mostly trouble-free highway miles since new, I'm finally getting down to needing new front and rear disk brake pads and machine resurfacing of the original rotors (which have never been resurfaced before). I'm down to 2mm at the rear axle pads and 3mm at the front pads on a 2004 AWD Mountineer (but no noise or warped rotors yet).

I had the entire brake system fluid flushed one year ago at my dealer and there were no rusted bleeders, leaks, or other issues with the calipers .... just normally wearing pads.

Is $180 per axle about right as quoted by my dealer last week for new pads and resurfacing the rotors? This is the net cost after a current $25 per axle rebate program that Ford is now running for "Retail Motorcraft or Genuine Ford brake parts."

Thanks
RRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 18:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: 04 Explorer/Mountineer AWD Dealer Brake Job Cost

Thats about right. they will cahrge like an hour of labor per axle plus parts at the usually high dealer price. But rest assured, a dealer will give you the best ford brake job. they do things that you don't notice because they prevent problems from happening (cleaning slider pins, using special grease, proper fit parts, ect.)

This sounds fair, but the price has always driven me to do my own brakes, they are pretty easy on those vehicles since there are no special tools or wheel bearings to deal with.
847alexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 18:27   #3 (permalink)

considering its a dealer i would say thats normal.most places charge $69.99 to $129.99 per axle witout rotors being touched.also to consider is the type of pad being used.
thundercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 19:57   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback guys ..... Incidentally, I stopped by an independent SUV service shop near my house this afternoon. Believe it or not, they wanted $275 per axle for just pads and turning the rotors. This makes the dealer much more cost effective.

Of course, I made the mistake of driving up in my employer's fully restored classic Nassau Blue 1965 Fuel Injected Corvette roadster so that SUV shop may have been giving me their "cost is no object" pricing special and trying to simply shake me down.

However, I wonder (with auto sales being off as much as they are in this economy), if the dealers are starting to offer better "packaged service" pricing with more rebates or specials to make up for the sales slack?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:55   #5 (permalink)
canuck

From all the brakes I've bought, both cheap and expensive I found that Monroe Premium pads & rotors works great all around for the cost. They're priced between most other brands and I can get two front rotors (better built than stock), and pads for the front of my truck for $159 and the same setup for my Taurus for $146. Takes me an hour to install. I'm not lucky enough to own a vehicle with rear disc brakes lol. Drums can be a whole different story for parts!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 18:52   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
I stopped by an independent SUV service shop near my house this afternoon. Believe it or not, they wanted $275 per axle for just pads and turning the rotors. This makes the dealer much more cost effective.
Tell em to Stick It!!
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 23:45   #7 (permalink)

A quick update guys:

Both axles at the Ford dealer were completed with new Motorcraft organic pads and all four rotor turned for $300 after a $50 rebate that Ford Corporate is currently offering. I know that the original Ford OEM pads were semi-metallics and that the non-ceramic organic Motorcraft pads will only last about half as long plus may dust up a bit more, but heck, I only put 2,000 miles a year of easy driving now-a-days on the darn SUV. They should last me another 5 or 6 years. Plus the organics will be easier for wear on the rotors.

The service tech even said there was enough rotor metal left for another resurfacing of the rotors if I continue to drive like a sane person. So far so good .... I'm just gonna drive even easier than I usually do for the first 400 of 500 miles (which means even more people honking at me from behind).

With all the extra money saved from telling those over-priced SUV repair guys to stick it, I'm gonna pay off some other bills
Old 06-02-2009, 18:43   #8 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRod View Post
A quick update guys:

Both axles at the Ford dealer were completed with new Motorcraft organic pads and all four rotor turned for $300 after a $50 rebate that Ford Corporate is currently offering. I know that the original Ford OEM pads were semi-metallics and that the non-ceramic organic Motorcraft pads will only last about half as long plus may dust up a bit more, but heck, I only put 2,000 miles a year of easy driving now-a-days on the darn SUV. They should last me another 5 or 6 years. Plus the organics will be easier for wear on the rotors.

The service tech even said there was enough rotor metal left for another resurfacing of the rotors if I continue to drive like a sane person. So far so good .... I'm just gonna drive even easier than I usually do for the first 400 of 500 miles (which means even more people honking at me from behind).

With all the extra money saved from telling those over-priced SUV repair guys to stick it, I'm gonna pay off some other bills
Let them honk! It will always amaze me on why people are in a rush to GET TO WORK lol. Or anywhere for that matter. Teleportation works best, too bad the cost is still too great even for the rich right now. Such a shame. Once gas goes up to $8/gal like it is in Europe, people will still drive like idiots and wonder why they can't seem to pay off the credit card bill and/or overdraft.

At least everything was a reasonable cost. I still prefer doing my own brakes when I have the time, saves $$$! I can't say that I'll ever try 'organic' brake pads. Next thing would be replacing my seats with those covered in a material made from recycled garbage bags! Try cleaning those!
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 06-02-2009, 22:27   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

I didn't think Motorcraft made organic pads anymore.

Quote:
I can't say that I'll ever try 'organic' brake pads.
There alright pads, easy on the rotors & quiet. Good pads for the normal everyday driver. But "Brake Fade" becomes an issue with organic pads if you pull a trailer or travel on steep grades requiring frequent braking.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 13:41   #10 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
But "Brake Fade" becomes an issue with organic pads if you pull a trailer or travel on steep grades requiring frequent braking.
Don't I know it. Cheap pads don't last for me, but at least they're inexpensive. I put the cost per mile ratio at MUCH BETTER when towing with hi-end pads. I've always been one to believe in the phrase you get what you pay for, and very seldom is it wrong.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator