04 Ford Explorer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 19:44   #1 (permalink)

confused 04 Ford Explorer

Theres a noise on my driver side tire that makes some sort of noise when I go over a speed bump or when my truck bounces due to the roads. Could it be the shocks or what???
ggranadosXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 20:08   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 04 Ford Explorer

Very possible.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:16   #3 (permalink)

Just had front bushings replaced on my 04 because they were squeaking when I went over speed bumps. They were on the Front Stabilizer Bar.

If you bounce the car up and down from the front bumper you should hear the squeaking. Sounds like bed springs....
Harlanhml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 13:06   #4 (permalink)
I hate Utah car dealers.

roll Re: 04 Ford Explorer

My 99 Ford Explorer does the same thumping sound. There's one street I drive on, when I go the speed limit it thumps the whole way. Otherwise it's fine. Still not sure what it is.
ruthofutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 16:33   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Don't forget, multiple components that aren't 100% in spec can make noises and can be hard to pinpoint. It ads character to older vehicles! Sway bar bushings are a culprit on A LOT of SUV's. One way to tell if the bushings are going is (if you have the means), lift up the front end with the tires off the ground; work in some grease in and around all the bushings, you may have to unlock and turn the wheels to get the best angle. Don't go light on the grease either, gob it all over the place. If the noises go away after a few miles you'll know what the culprit is!

You can re-torque shock bolts and visually inspect them (try to shake them with your hands with the wheels removed and off the ground). If there's even a slight amount of play then you've found the problem. Alas, shocks should be replaced every 60-70K irregardless how bad they look visually. Bad shocks can lead to poor braking performance and increase your distance to stop safely.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator