Ford Forums banner

'04 Mountaineer "ABS" light problem

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
Dears,
I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer Premier, with a 4.6L V8 Engine. I have this problem that sometimes when I press hard on the accelerator, the "ABS" lamp will be lit and the cruise control will cease to function.

I took the car to the dealer, and they said that the battery needs to be replaced. The batter is new and it's only a few months old.

I read the manual, and I found something related to what the dealer said to me. The manual says that if the computer detects a low voltage, it will start shutting down the electrical devices to maintain the voltage necessary to keep the engine working. These devices might include the radio, the "ABS", and even the dashboard.

I tried to search the net on the correct battery model for my car, but couldn't seem to find the right site. I just need to know the right battery model & specs that I need to install, before I go and buy another one.

My car's chassis number: 4M2DU86W14ZJ14424

My current battery:
Motorcraft
Part Number: BXL 65
Serial Number: 122008
Cold Cranking Amps: 675

See less See more
#2 ·
The battery could be weak but when driving, the alternator would power everything. Did they check the alternator output? The battery brand isn't a big deal unless you go real cheap. The Motorcraft batteries seem to hold up pretty well. Interstate batteries are pretty good too. Did you get any codes from it?

#3 ·
Dears,
Just to let you know that the problem has been fixed. There were some damaged wires that caused some resistance to the power transferred to the ABS system. As for the cruise control, there's a switch on the brake pedal to disable the cruise whenever you hit the brakes. That switch was malfunctioning causing the cruise control to stop working occasionally.

Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.