04 Mountainer Rear Air Blower Fan Only Works on High - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 12:10   #1 (permalink)

04 Mountainer Rear Air Blower Fan Only Works on High

The two small O/H HVAC control panels for the rear passenger auxillary HVAC system started acting up the other day (the front one in the O/H console area and the rear one for the back passengers). The main front electronic HVAC control in the dash still works fine in my 2004 Mountineer.

The rear O/H control panel's HVAC blower rotary switch stopped working at all speeds "except" High. At the same time, the front O/H control panel's HVAC blower rotary switch also failed and will not activate "any" of the rear blower speeds (including High).

Since I'm past warranty, I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts.

The other controls on both these small O/H rotary panels still work (like the temperature rotary and the push buttons for directing air flow to the ceiling or floor vents). Maybe I could pop out these two small 4" wide control panels and ensure all the wiring connectors are secure as a first step, and simply replace the control panels myself if necessary as a second step (if available from a Parts counter at a dealership)?

Is there any trick to prying these small O/H control panels out of the ceiling?

Thanks!
RRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 20:29   #2 (permalink)

Re: 04 Mountainer Rear Air Blower Fan Only Works on High

I don't think it's the switches. I think you need new blower motor resistors. They are where the blower motor plugs in. I think they are about $25.00 at most part stores.
mralex714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 23:13   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralex714 View Post
I don't think it's the switches. I think you need new blower motor resistors. They are where the blower motor plugs in. I think they are about $25.00 at most part stores.
Thanks

For the rear system blower on a 2004 Mountainer with the 4.0L V6, would that location be behind the rear interior trim side panel on the driver's side near the tail gate?
Old 09-23-2008, 20:54   #4 (permalink)

Did you get a fix for this? My blower just quit for the front and rear (is that normal) on my 2004 Mountaineer (PoS). I recall a couple months ago on a vacation the ac quit working but then I did something and it started working again. My wife (who drives it all the time) seems to think it was working on high only which leads me to the resistor but now it isn't blowing at any speed. Could the front blower make the rear blower not work? Are they both located in the same spot behind the glove box? Is there only one resistor (the one on the left side of the blower on the firewall)?

Thanks,

Randy
randyr505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 17:41   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyr505 View Post
Did you get a fix for this? My blower just quit for the front and rear (is that normal) on my 2004 Mountaineer (PoS). I recall a couple months ago on a vacation the ac quit working but then I did something and it started working again. My wife (who drives it all the time) seems to think it was working on high only which leads me to the resistor but now it isn't blowing at any speed. Could the front blower make the rear blower not work? Are they both located in the same spot behind the glove box? Is there only one resistor (the one on the left side of the blower on the firewall)?

Thanks,

Randy
Randy, in my case only the rear system blower failed on all speeds but high. I pulled the left rear panel near the tailgate and removed the rear blower resisitor as pictured below. The part number is printed right on it and the replacement was about $25 at my local Ford dealership ... it was a straight plug-in replacement. All the rear fan speeds were restored .... good now for the next 45,000 miles

BTW, the front fan system's resistor module is behind the glove box. If you are only getting Hi-Speed fan from the front system, then that module is most likely also bad. If you are getting no fan speeds at all (from either front or back systems), then your problems are probably something else well beyond my level of expertise ... good luck!

More info and pix at this thread:

Is This My Rear Blower Resistor Module? - 04 Mountaineer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator