1991 5spd trans problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 15:28   #1 (permalink)

1991 5spd trans problems

i have trouble getting into gears sometimes and there is alot of play in the stick shift. My clutch lets out pretty high is this normal. Also here a slite slite grinding noise driving along in 4th an 5th. Any one no of any upgrades or better trans swaps. I also wanna look into getting a floor shift transfer case instead of the electronic push button. Loooking for some good advice thank you.
91explorator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 19:42   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 1991 5spd trans problems

I'm not sure about the trans, but going from an electronic to manual transfer case will require some work, console replacement, and some drilling (for the lever). I don't blame you for wanting a manual case. Electronic cases aren't that much involved and can cost $$$ down the road, if you haven't dumped a good amount of money on it already...just wait. You're best bet with the transfer case is to find a doner vehicle, this way you'll save $ on parts, and you'll be able to use the transfer case from the other vehicle. I can't say for certain if the electronic one will work as a manual version due to the fact that it might not be fitted properly to have a shift lever.

I'm not sure if it would help any, but WELCOME TO RICHMOND GEAR has some good manual units, OD and non OD. As you have a '91 it shouldn't be too hard to find a heavier duty unit, or at least something that's close and will bolt on without much fuss (new bellhousing, etc).
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator