Ford Forums banner

1994 Warm Start

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  cjshelley 
#1 ·
My 1994 Explorer has been having a curious problem wherein it doesn't like to start when the engine is warm! Sometimes it seems to almost catch and then it won't... or sometimes it catches and BARELY idles for a moment and then the motor dies. It seems that it will only restart after everything cools down completely. When I read the ODB trouble codes, I had 335, 336, and 211. these say that the EGR circuit higher than expected and the EGR sensor voltage out of range, and it also told me that the ignition profile pick-up circuit failed. I replaced my EGR valve and it seemed to have fixed the problem for about a month, but the problem returned a couple days ago. I unplugged my EGR valve and it seems to have made a difference, but I had a close call today where the engine loped for a moment and then caught. Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

#2 ·
When was the last tune up performed (timing check with new plugs)?

code 211 - Ignition PIP signal was erratic or missing - Ignition Systems

Ask a local tech (autozone for instance) if they can elaborate on this code as I believe it is the one causing you grief. Again, a good tune up is a cheap possible fix.

#5 ·
Have you had the air intake manifold to be cleaned?
Open the whole air intake duck and clean out the intake duck, intake valve, MAS sensor with a throttle cleaning bottle. Use the one for the fuel injection. For the intake valve, spray it once and wipe out with a napkin or a paper towel. Spray and clean it for at least five times until it's absolutely cleaned. To clean the MAS(sensors on the manifold duck), you need to remove it completely off the duck, and spray the throttle cleaning bottle right on the sensor itself, and spray some in a container as a cap and use a brush to clean the MAS. Use a small brush as a paint brush and make sure you will not damage to the sensor resistors. You also need to check a hose that connects from the manifold duck to the engine head. Make sure this hose is in good condition, and it must be free from leakage.
This procedure will help your vehicle starts much better as it is now. I got this problem before and I've been helping others on their cars too.

Good luck,
Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.