1996 ford explorer stalling - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 08:41   #1 (permalink)

1996 ford explorer stalling

Hey new member love the site

Neway i have a 1996 ford explorer i really enjoy driving it just not when its idling. when i originally bought the truck the emissions recirculator hose coming from the manifold to the egr vavle was "repaired" with a rubber hose...... bought a new one from a dealership. also it was in serious need of a tune up so new fuel filter standard filter ngk plugs not the performance ones just standard aswell and the autolight professional series wires. truck ran AMAZING huge difference as expected. probably a month after all this it started having a real lopey idle then it started stalling out after a bit so i replaced it with a new iac got alot better from all the time idle problem to a more intermittent problem seemed to do it when it was warm mostly not sure if that was because of the higher idle when it was cold or because the engine was running warm. well a friend of mine had a k&n cold air and a helix throttle body spacer siting around he never used ended up using a enlarged bbk throttle body instead(it ran great for about 100 miles then continued with the idle problem). to continue truck has also had the check engine light on saying oxygen sensors so i had the 2 upstream o2 sensors replaced at a shop light stayed off for a day then came back on. ne suggestion???
sry for the long post but the more information someone has maybe give them a better idea
drakon543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 09:22   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1996 ford explorer stalling

Welcome to the forums. A long post with more information is better than not enough. Have you had it checked for codes? Autozone will for free. Did the shop just replace the O2 sensors without checking anything? Have you mentioned the stalling to them? We have not had any good luck with NGK plugs. They shouldn't cause a stall though. The K&N is great but if too much oil is on them they cause MAF sensor problems. Unplug the MAF sensor and see how it runs. You can also clean the MAF with MAF cleaner.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48   #3 (permalink)

maf looks pretty clean but i'll try gettin some cleaner for it neway i mentioned the stalling to them when i brought it in to have the o2 sensors replaced they mentioned maybe it was the downstream sensor and not the upstream 2 or maybe the upper intake gasket the o ring setup between the intake manifold and the plastic upper
Old 01-02-2011, 11:02   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If the codes were P0171 and P0174, there could be a vacuum leak. The rear O2 sensors wouldn't cause stalling. The MAF doesn't look dirty. It gets coated with dirt and oil from the K&N (if it wasn't done properly) and gives false readings. Did you try it with the MAF unplugged?
Old 01-12-2011, 15:41   #5 (permalink)

maf wasnt the problem ended up being the 3 oring gaskets under the plenum for neone else with the same problem i suggest fully unbolting the ignition coil bracket and the wiring harness from the rear firewall if your 4.0 has the emission recirlator tube from the manifold u need to lift the plenum up off the intake studs and raise the back up and slide forward to clear the tube it has a 90 degree bend on it removing those 2 things from your path will make this job MUCH faster instead of fighting it around those!!
the last 4.0 i did was my buddies 99 ranger which doesnt have that emissions tube
also a LIGHT coating of gasket maker will help seal did this on my explorer as a precaution had to redue the gaskets on the 99 ranger stated above because the aluminum gets pitted and its easier than using some light sandpaper to remove the roughness only apply the gasket compound to the aluminum intake spacer plate the grooves seal nicely and ne compound up in there may not allow the oring to seat in there properly possibly making another gap
and thanks for your suggestions bert
Old 01-12-2011, 16:03   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it fixed.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator