1996 Ford Explorer XLT Transmission Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 08:16   #1 (permalink)

1996 Ford Explorer XLT Transmission Problem

After the Alternator bearings went bad and the battery was not charging I replaced both the Alternator and battery with new ones. When I did that the automatic transmission started acting up. When I put the lever in REVERSE it hesitates about 2 minutes before it finally engages at which time the Overdrive light starts flashing and it idles roughly.Also, if you try backing up an incline with it it does not have enough power to do that but on level ground it will reverse just fine at that time. If I then put it in DRIVE it seems to have very little power. I then go down the road and it will not up-shift on its own as they are supposed to do, all that happens is that the RPM's go up but no amount of acceleration makes the gears chnage from D1 to D2 and then to Drive. Being in Drive on the lever it is like the vehicle is bogged down. The truck has 258,000 miles on it and the transmission has been rebuilt twice with the last time being 20 months ago. I am wondering if changing the alternator and battery would cause this or if it is just a coincidence that the transmission is now acting up. I have let the PCM reset on it by unhooking the battery for 15 minutes but that changed nothing. Does anyone have any siuggestions on what could be my problem?
Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 08:38   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 1996 Ford Explorer XLT Transmission Problem

When was the last time ATF was checked / changed ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:44   #3 (permalink)

The ATF and filter were replaced three weeks ago.
Old 08-09-2011, 20:27   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Changing the alternator and battery shouldn't affect the transmission. Have Autozone pull codes to see what comes up.
Old 08-10-2011, 13:02   #5 (permalink)

I talked with the Tech's at Advance Auto today and have learned that the Transmission has gone into Fail-safe Mode in order to keep the transmission form more harm. They do this when one or more Solenoids fail to work properly. I am told by a Transmission shop that it will cost $1500 to gut the transmission and replace everything internally. I am also wondering if there is a way to rebuild the transmission without the electronic junk and get it back to the way the old transmissions were before all this new-fangled ideas screwed up the vehicles?
Old 08-10-2011, 18:01   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There's no way to make it like the old ones worked. These are better when all is well.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:42   #7 (permalink)

Since the 1996 Explorer XLT has 258,000 miles on it but the motor still runs great and it now has a new battery and new alternator on it what does everyone suggest about rebuilfding the transmission? Should I go ahead and have it rebuilt at the cost of $1480 or find myself another used vehicle? I am contemplating that if I purchase another used car that I may end up having more auto problems and thus be out more to have it repaired than I would if I had the tranny rebuilt. But then how long will the rebuilt transmission last. Anyone out there that has had any luck with having them rebuilt and lasting a long time or is that transmission just a lost cause?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:42   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

As you say , you could buy yourself a money pit .Sometimes " you're better with the devil you know ". your decision .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator