1996 V8 AWD problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 19:47   #1 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

1996 V8 AWD problems

Hello to all My name is Joe.
I'm a newbie here working on a 1996 V8 AWD Explorer XLT. I bought the truck today looking for something to do to keep me busy over the Wisconsin cold Winter months either parting out or flipping it for a some fun money to fund the restomod 65 Mustang.
I have what appears to be a transfer case problem or Tranny or even both. When moving in reverse slow for 10 feet or so the truck starts to bind, clank and clunk to a point that you need to hit the gas pedal pretty hard to get it beyond the binding. Moving forward in drive it goes for a bit and does the same. It also has a broken ground wire coming off the frame to the body and I'm not sure if this could cause the problem with the electronic type tranny? Im wondering how to properly diagnose the tranfer case on this AWD where in the past 4X4's I have owned disconecting a drive shaft was possible. The tranny doesn't seem to slip and has power to move but the binding issue has me stumped just a bit with the AWD. I'm thinking possible rear end or front diff as well but unsure if the transfer case is the place to start? I'm open to all advise and will be pursuing work again on Monday afternoon ounce I'm through My 3 day work week on the weekend shift. I have a tranny available at the salvage yard if needed. I also have 1997 AWD Eddie Bauer Parts vehicle that is 2.5 hours away that has bad wheel bearings and could be bought for $500+ gas expense to go and get if the parts are interchangeable from this 95,000 mile donar truck?
joscibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 15:59   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1996 V8 AWD problems

Put her up in the air and drop the drive shafts, and rotate your wheels, if front and rear both rotate fine, put it in neutral and turn the output of the transfer case.
Old 11-10-2012, 19:28   #3 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
Put her up in the air and drop the drive shafts, and rotate your wheels, if front and rear both rotate fine, put it in neutral and turn the output of the transfer case.
Thank you I will look into that this week. That makes real good sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 12-03-2012, 21:11   #4 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
Tranny confirmed bad! I did what you mentioned and couldn't tell until we pulled the transfer case out and it seemed fine. We than pulled the tranny pan and bingo we found metal fuzzies and chunks all over in the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-04-2012, 17:50   #5 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Nice to see you found it.
Old 01-16-2013, 21:49   #6 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1358401608.120495.jpg

Here it is the hood hasn't been put back on you can see it resting on the roof. I have $1150 into this flip. It's worth $2500-$3500 v8 runs great and the tranny is all better now. Few things to do tomorrow and its going out to the road to be SOLD!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-17-2013, 03:43   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

If it drives as well as it looks , should sell easy enough .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 19:00   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Good to hear!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator