1997 Ford Explorer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 06:01   #1 (permalink)

1997 Ford Explorer

Hi, all. I am sandy58, owner of a 1997 Ford Explorer & I am in need of advice concerning my car. I live in the North East of Scotland, born in Glasgow..a long time ago. :-)
One problem I have here is navigating around this site. I logged in, introduced myself..again... and end up here so if I break any rules, apologies in advance, folks.
The problem I'm having with my car is, a) the engine stalls at low revs, particularly when I am reversing/manouvering. b)Full lock on steering (reverse/forward) results in engine cutting out. Idling speed fluctuates wildly, usually ending with engine stopping.
As you will understand, it's scary when the power steering stiffens up and brakes fail. This is my first Ford Explorer and, apart from these failings, I love it. I have replaced the flow control. Cleaned all visible electrical plugs/sockets. What I need is advice from experienced Explorer owners etc. Thanks in advance for any tips, advice.
sandy58
sandy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 09:48   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 1997 Ford Explorer

Tried cleaning idle air control valve ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:51   #3 (permalink)

Would that be a small device held down by two (8mm?) bolts with an electrical connection on top and has a spring-loaded plunger inside? Approximately central on top of the engine but under the plastic cover? I renewed that one about six months ago. I had it out today and sprayed it with electrical cleaning fluid. But it looked spotless before I touched it. It may be wishful thinking on my part but after I had cleaned and replaced it, my idle speed was the best I have had it, approx the required revs (8oo?) and the engine hasn't cut out since. But I also haven't traveled very far today either..so I am not really shouting about it yet. :-)
Would you happen to know how to alter the idling speed, R S Logan? And could you please let me know if that valve I cleaned WAS the idle air control valve? I thank you for a very speedy reply, sir. Very much appreciated.
ATB Sandy58 (Aberdeen, Scotland.)
Old 08-14-2011, 12:15   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Sounds like you've got it o.k .This link with pics should help you .

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=84220
Old 08-14-2011, 14:44   #5 (permalink)

Hi, again, R S Logan. That was a beautiful illustrated problem-solving link. Many thanks. So now I will remove then OTHER parts ie: plastic cap etc and be more particular about my cleaning. I have lent my Explorer to a buddy who has an off-shore safety course in Montrose, a few miles down the coast from here, so no doubt he will give me a detailed tale about performance et al on his return. Thanks to the other posters (your link) as all input was of use to me. But it was you who pointed me to the graphic link, R S Logan so from your help my old but valued Explorer lives on. :-)
All the best, my new friend.
Sandy in Scotland.
Old 08-14-2011, 14:55   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Glad to help , hope all goes well with the car when you get it back in the Granite City .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator