1997 Ford Explorer XLT Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 06:27   #1 (permalink)

1997 Ford Explorer XLT Questions

Hello everyone. Just wanted to extend a thank you to the users and the admins of this board and hope I can find some answers.

So I bought a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT for fairly cheap. I know usually in the case of vehicles the cheaper the worse off the car is. But that didn't put me off, as I really needed something to get around in. The below is a list of problems that started happening, as soon as I got it.

The same month I got it, my battery kept going dead, in a 12 hour period. No lights were on, in fact some of the interior lights don't work the headlights were off, all that good stuff. But I'd need to be jumped off before I could go anywhere. I thought this was just a bad battery, so I went to my local auto shop, and Bought a New battery, but again, it kept dying. So My mom's Fiance and I, started using a Voltmeter and discovered a 12-14.5v draw somewhere. We have yet been unable to locate where this draw is. So our Band-aid solution was to hook up a battery buddy, which I still need to use to this day.

The Dash lights, the stopped working, and from what I was told they havne't worked in a while, to which I said "That's no problem, Ill get some small LEDS to illuminate my speedometer and panels at night."

Well I got those, and by this time I'd already had my Truck about a week or two.

Then the Next problem, I purchased the car some where in Late May, early June, which means it's gonna be hot, really hot. My air-conditioner worked up until the last week of June, then it just stopped all together. The clutch no longer kicks on when the A/C is on. My Mom's Fiance Works and has worked with cars in the past for upwards of 20 years. So he recharged the A/C and still no change. He said the clutch may be bad. Again, I say, that's fine Ill just roll down the windows...

Mid July, hottest time of the year, my windows roll down just fine, until it starts getting colder, Now my Driver window will not roll all the way up, and it will fall down back into the door on occasions, Also my passenger window will not roll down, at least not without a little pressure. Which shows me that the Motors are bad in the power windows.

I took the driver side panel off of the door and was able to get some what inside of it, to start working the window back up but now the window won't go up for about two inches, which is kind of okay since i have rain guards around all my windows, so water doesn't get in above those spots.

Now in October my Driver side door, doesn't close right, I usually have to try and close it about 15 times before the latches will engage which isn't too bad, except for one day I was able to get it closed, and the Door swung open going down the road, at 45 mph, At this point, I kind of peed a little, but I was able to get it closed and continue my trip.

So that is my list of problems thus far. But I know I need a new set of window motors, the problem is , I can't get inside the door to change them, And I also need some help locating the motors, somewhere. Today, at the time of this post, I'm going to go out and look through some junk yards and see what I can get. Or come up with. But aside from all of these, my car is my best friend,and I want to do what ever I can to take care of it, as it's my first car I own with title in tact, and no payments.

thanks for any help and advice I can get. Ill be checking back a bit later. Thanks everyone.

Tallah
Tallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 20:23   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 1997 Ford Explorer XLT Questions

Well for the battery going dead will need to try and figure out what is drawing the battery down. That going to be tricky without an ammeter. The window motors from what I remember are pretty straight forward. After panels off usually 3 screws hold motor to regulator. Just don't take glass out or any other pieces off. Some regulators are spring loaded and can unload if glass out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:38   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1997 Ford Explorer XLT Questions

battery...hook up your volt meter and start pulling fuses till the volts drop, that may give you a place to start.

dash lights I would hope would just be bad bulbs but you'd more than likely have to pull the whole instrument cluster out to replace then so you can live with it don't expel the energy lol

as far as your drivers side door it could be that they pins\hinges have wore out. I've had this problem with both my f-150s that I've had. The door "sinks" a bit and doesn't make even contact with the pin on the body. when if the door is almost closed it doesn't sit flush with the body or you can lift the door that'd be a good indicator. Easy fix for that is pull the bolts that hold the bottom hinge to the door itself then stick a couple of flat washers between the door on the hinge and puts the bolts back in...It only takes a could washers to make all the difference. be sure you lube everything afterwards, latches/hinges etc. hope this helps a bit
mercaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator