1998 Explorer Sport questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 07:48   #1 (permalink)
boevella

1998 Explorer Sport questions

I'm new to the forum. Spent three hours diggin through the last 7 years of posts and learned alot about my new truck. I have owned many Fords and always will. Currently, I drive 3 Fords. A '89 Aerostar Cargo van (for work), a '97 Areostar XLT (for the kids), and I just bought a '98 Explorer Sport 5-speed (for fun!!). I got a great deal on this truck, I think. Here is the situation:

The truck has 175,xxx
Great condition, body has NO visible rust except a couple small spots on both bumpers (easy fix) and running boards, NO dings or dents, and only a few cosmetic things that will be easy to fix, like passenger mirror and driver side door lock. The previous owner documented everything he did with it. It uses no oil. Interior is near perfect. 4x4 works great (had to use it last night, damn Wisconsin winters). I checked KBB and it rated $3200 in good condition. The guy wanted $2000 for it, I gave him $1700, and all it needed was new front rotors and pads, which I did yesterday for under $100. The rear brakes are new. My question is, should I be leary? Anything special to watch for? The guy was a mechanic, so why is he selling it so cheap? Everything appears visually sound and well taken care of. The only thing I noticed is a small leak on the front differential seal. It drives very smooth. I am in love with this truck and would like to see it hit 300k. I just hope there isn't something wrong that I don't know about. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!!
98sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 14:05   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 1998 Explorer Sport questions

Congrats on the purchase! If you don't have access to the previous maintenance records be sure to get all the fluids changed - transfer case, differentials, transmission, coolant and oil for sure. Front axle seals aren't too hard to change if you have the right tools. Still, some people are glad to get rid of older vehicles as they consider them to be more of a hassle than anything else. I bought my old C1500 Sierra for less than half of the asking price and it was in great condition. The previous owner just wanted it gone so he could get a new one! I sold it three months later for $1900 more than what I had paid.

Oh, I'd also get a front alignment done and balance all the tires for better piece of mind. I'd also use synthetic fluid in the axles and transfer case (Mercon ATF will also do). Synthetics will easily go 2-3 times longer between oil changes. I'm not familiar with the front Explorer differential, but my Dodge is a pain to change the fluid in. Very tight to get at the top bolts on the casing.

I'm sure others will chime in on what else to watch out for.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator