1998 Explorer timing chain - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 20:58   #1 (permalink)

1998 Explorer timing chain

Well my 1998 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 SOHC finally blew the timing chain today. Rear passenger side chain has always rattled, but the noise is coming from the front drivers side. Engine has been extremely sluggish today after filling up with regular gas (usually run mid grade or premium). First I'd floor it and cars would still pass me from a dead stop. Basically lost ALL low end torque. Then engine just dies out of nowhere driving down the highway and free spins with no compression when I try to start it. Should I have this engine repaired, get another 4.0 SOHC, or just get a 5.0 and drop it in since the 5.0 was an option. I'm thinking 5.0 so there won't be anymore timing chain problems, but with all these computers these days, I'm guessing it won't be a simple drop in and go. What should I do? I do have a cherry picker & engine stand so I can bypass auto shop prices, unless there's problems I can't handle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Cometman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 06:04   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 1998 Explorer timing chain

5.0 is going to be a lot of work. Would need motor,Trans,exhaust, probably driveshafts and all wiring. It being a 98 probably not worth the effort. Best bet look into fixing what you have or find another. Fixing what you have will be difficult without the tools to time the engine. It's a whole set for timing the 4.0 SOHC only.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:54   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I heard about the timing tools. So far everyone in town said they won't fix it since it's the SOHC, So I guess I'm gonna have to buy the tool kit. Just hope it didn't bend the valves or do any internal damage. Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Cometman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:02   #4 (permalink)

5.0 is work but not that much work your trans will bolt up to a 5.0 but wiring harness is different and so is computer.if u don't have experience doing stuff like a motor swap then don't do it can get complicated. If u go with a used engine your going to run into the same timing chain issues unless u get an engine that has been done and upgraded not likely. and to rebuild one your self u need special timing tools for this engine.I'm in the process of rebuilding one now.your best bet would be rebuild the engine u have now or just buy a new car.this rebuild will be pricey if u take it to a shop doing this your self is much cheaper depending on how much damage was caused wile driving this is a interference engine so if chains break it will bend valves some time even if they don't break it will jump time and still bend valves so rebuild price will depend.if every thing is good and all u need is tining chain cassettes cloyes has a good set for around $210 on rockauto but u need that timing tool to do it its about $250 on eBay part # otc6488. And engine has to come out this is a harder engine to work on then most Haynes Manuel is a must has good info for this job I would read through before attempting rebuild there are also torque to yield bolts on this engine that can not be reused
fordman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 19:07   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Trans won't work. 4.0 had the 4r44/55 Trans and 5.0 had the 4r70. Would have to swap Trans.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:18   #6 (permalink)

Bolt pattern for 4.0 is the same as 5.0 at least in 2001 can't see them retooling for different bolt pattern it does not matter what trans in is it its about the bolt pattern.. but you may be right I might be thinking of 4.2l idont know anymore I've done a 5.0 swap from a v6 but can't recall what trans now that I think about it your right sorry about that it was a 4.2l don't no about the 4.0 trans
fordman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator