1998 Ford Explorer anti-theft switch? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2007, 05:59   #1 (permalink)

confused 1998 Ford Explorer anti-theft switch?

I've recently been having a problem with my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT where my alarm randomly goes off for no reason. It happens at different times on different days...and sometimes doesn't go off at all. I finally had to take it to the Ford Dealership because security at my job was getting fed up with my alarm constantly going off. First I was charged 84.95 to have the car hooked up to the computer to diagnose what was wrong...they did wait also to see if the alarm would go off, which it did...four hours after I dropped it off. They said that I had a faulty "hood anti-theft switch." Of course they didn't have the part and have to order it and I have to go back. They told me that it would cost like 150 bucks to install. Apparently the part is 28 bucks and the rest is all labor. The sheet I got back from Ford said that to install the switch would require 1.5 hours of labor. Is this true?? Is it that hard to install? Or is there something else that needs to be done with the security system once the switch is installed? I have an appointment to have the switch installed on February 13th...just wanted to see if it was worth it.

When I asked the mechanic if it would just be easier to disconnect the alarm, he said I could do that, but that it would take out my remote entry...my little keypad on the door and some other things that were all tied into the alarm.

Please help

Thank you
Stephw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator