2000 explorer xls small hesitation - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 14:03   #1 (permalink)

2000 explorer xls small hesitation

Hello Everybody,

I ahve a Ford Explorer XLS Year 2000, i hope anybody can point me in the right direction. It all started with a P0171 code pointing to the MAF sensor took it to a Ford and they pretty much wanted to reapair everything with the car.

MAF Sensor
Vaccuum Leak Kit
Fuel Injectors
and the list goes on...

Needless to say the bill would have been over 1300 dollars, so i got a second opinion and got it repaired somewhere else. The Check Engine light code went away with the repair of the Vaccum Kit which Ford sells. My question to all of you is this if it's not the MAF sensor as indicated what can be causing this car to hesitate in first gear 10-20 MPH acceleration? After passing this spped the car is fine.

I appreciate your help in advance.
jm102399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 11:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2000 explorer xls small hesitation

Yes, this is the MAP sensor problem.
There is another way the repair shop won't tell you:
Open and remove the MAP sensor and clean it with the electrical contact solvent. It's usually sold in a spray can bottle. Pepboy should have it.
Clean it first and use a small container to deep the whole unit in it and just spray the solvent over many time. You may need a small brush to clean it too.

Normally, the particles or dirt cover as a thick layers on the sensors will be the problem that cause the MAP and Air Flow Sensor don't function correctly. Both of the sensors are on the same unit, mount right on the top of the air intake housing unit. When you clean it, also, you need to clean the whole body of the air intake and the throttle valve too. Throttle valve uses the throttle valve injection cleaning, and the body housing uses the automobile liquid soap to clean it with water. For the intake valve, spray it once and wipe it out with tower. Do it more than 5,6 times while you spin the valve oven and close.

Properly, the dealer charge you for 1300 bucks is for just cleaning the parts.

Any question, just come back to ask me.

Good luck,

Tony
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 14:56   #3 (permalink)

Ok did what u told me to do, but the hesitation is still there. Took it to another mechanic and he looked at the transmission filter and found metal shavings (Gotta be honest here, that does not sound good). From what i have looked up this is normal on Ford cars and trucks. Could it be a solenoid within the tranny? Let me know what you think. Oh yeah one more thing the OD lights keep flashing on and off.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:57   #4 (permalink)

Your car seems to have the problem with the transmission. After you cleaned out the MAP sensor and it's still having the same problem. That could tell me you have the problem with the tranny.
Most of the problems with the Explorer XLS I've seen is the MAP and the transmission. Ford does a lousy job in this model. Everything seems to be broken badly. I was so upset that Ford has not complied or promise any product that it has made as what the commercial said on the TV or on the news.
You also have the OD light keeps flashing on and off, that could tell me you have the tranny problem there. I just talked with one of the best county mechanic tech., and he told me that you may have to pay for another tranny.
My previous XLS had multiple problems after the third year. I wouldn't believe I had to spend so much money on the replacement parts those I could only afford to pay online. Moreover, I'm still owed a couple hundred bucks to my credit company because the parts I purchased, and I am going to pay it off this weekend.
I got rid my Explode last year to trade in with a new Accord. To my recommendation, you should think it twice before you will have your Explorer in a shop. Definitely, your car will be in one of the shop again and again, sooner or later.
The tranny more likely will cost you around three to five thousands dollars to fix it, and the parts around the engine and the body will be added up too. All the parts I paid and fix my car by myself costed me 1,500, plus I had it in the shop twice for the total cost of 2,500 after the fourth year.

Think about it twice, and think about it smart.
If Ford promises to me that it makes its cars better than Honda, I definitely will come back to buy its cars, and I will recommend to my friends to do so.

Best regard,
Tony
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 13:41   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all your help and time, i knew this day would come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator