2000 Explorer XLT Reverse Parking Aid System - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2003, 20:08   #1 (permalink)
robroy

mad 2000 Explorer XLT Reverse Parking Aid System

Hello,

I have just experienced my third (3) failure on my 2000 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition XLT, at 38,000 miles! The warranty was done at 36,000. The first failure was the rear wiper which is still intermittent as I have not swapped it out yet. The second failure was the Reverse Parking Aid System - the one with the ultrasonic sensors in the rear bumper fascia. And the last failure was the display on the radio. I just finished resoldering ALL joints on the display power sub board and my radio is now working again!

However, does anyone have any experience with the Reverse Parking Aid System and its failing? One rainy, wet, slushy day, the system went nuts - beep, beep, beep non-stop. I pushed the deactivate button and it went off - permanently! now, the system has been off for months and is always in the "off" or error mode wherein the button light stays illuminated and if you try to push it, will only bounce from off to on permanently. I ordered and swapped the control module - did not fix the problem, so I am thinking that the sensors failed due to weather contamination. Anybody have ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2003, 21:15   #2 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

Re: 2000 Explorer XLT Reverse Parking Aid System

i have not had much experience with these yet but i would look at the connections around the sensor or possibly even replace the sensor.
i have seen numerous problems with explorers getting moisture in the connectors on the rear of these vehicles. and 3 yrs old is old enough to have a few of these corroded, green connections.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator