2001 Explorer Sport Trac - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 19:22   #1 (permalink)

2001 Explorer Sport Trac

New to the forum!! Thanks for having me.

Now for my problem.....

I have a 2001 Sport Trac, it wont start. When I turn the key, it tries to turn over, but only make one short burst before nothing. All fluids are good. Tried to start it with headlights on and they go out completly until the key is let off. Its not a long sound when you turn the key (like trying to start a car out of gas), but one short vrrmp. (Bad sound effect I know)

I replaced the starter ( suck job to do), new battery, and terminals. I tested to see if current was was good in the ground and power to starter, and it was. Have not tested voltage yet.

After all that was done, I got the same syptoms as before I changed starter and what not. Help me please.

Thanks
jay
gunklejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 17:37   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2001 Explorer Sport Trac

Throwing any engine codes?
I'd check to see what your fuel pressure is. If it's low, or non-existent then replace the fuel filter first, try again, and if no better, replace the fuel pump.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:42   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Throwing any engine codes?
I'd check to see what your fuel pressure is. If it's low, or non-existent then replace the fuel filter first, try again, and if no better, replace the fuel pump.

How do I find out if my truck is throwing codes? One mechanic said he put a strong arm on the crank, he said the motor would turn one way but not the other. Does that have anything to do with timing chain(s)?, or does that mean its getting good compression?

This thread on a different forum my explorer wont start - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums has similar problems.
Old 05-27-2009, 19:08   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
How do I find out if my truck is throwing codes?
You'll have to get the codes read with a scan tool.

Quote:
One mechanic said he put a strong arm on the crank, he said the motor would turn one way but not the other.
That a new one..
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 13:45   #5 (permalink)
canuck

The engine is only made to turn one way, or it would cause backfire problems. I don't know what this 'strong arm' is, but there are tools that connect to the flywheel that can turn the engine over, or just 'bump' the starter.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 05-28-2009, 19:06   #6 (permalink)

What they told a strong arm is " A large tool that attaches to the crank to turn the motor manually." I cant make that up. The shop told me today that they think one of the three (3) timing chains is broken, which I dont buy at all!! Never once did the motor run rough prior to not running at all.

Are there really 3 timing chains on my Sport Trac?? They said 1 in front and 2 in back of motor?

After talking to a couple of people they feel that the shop was trying to get over on me. I dont know what to believe. I think there may be a bad ground somewhere robbing all the power. If memory serves me correct, say you turn your headlights before you start your car, when you turn the ignition over, your headlights shouldnt dimm, should they?? Because mine go completely out.

Thanks again for your time spent on this thread.

Old 05-28-2009, 19:21   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Are there really 3 timing chains on my Sport Trac?? They said 1 in front and 2 in back of motor?
That's another new one on me.

He's talking about putting a breaker bar on the crank bolt.

The engine will spin either direction by hand with a breaker bar.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 19:50   #8 (permalink)
canuck

There aren't any timing chains on the back of the engine. DOHC engines can have multiple chains. OHV engines generally just have one?
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 05-28-2009, 19:54   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
He's talking about putting a breaker bar on the crank bolt.

The engine will spin either direction by hand with a breaker bar.
I guess strong arm = breaker bar. Anyway, he said the motor would turn one way but not the other. Then he told me that he didnt have the equipment to pull "that" particular motor. Hmmmmmmm!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator