2002 Explorer Rear End Issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 10:28   #1 (permalink)

2002 Explorer Rear End Issue

Hello all. This is my first visit to the site and it looks great!

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer. The rear end was rebuilt at 60,000 miles while under warranty. A few thousand miles later, its started whining/whirring again. The guy who owned it said he didnt bother with taking it back in since it didnt seem like the problem was that bad. Now I am the owner of the vehicle. I was wondering if there was a recall or something along those lines that was issued. Service Bulletin? Something. Ive been reading a bit on the internet that this was a manufacturer defect, but I cant verify the information 100%. Does anyone know of this issue and what I can do, besides shelling out a bunch of $$$$ to get it fixed again? Thanks in advance for the info.
Tucker6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 19:28   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2002 Explorer Rear End Issue

Check with the local Ford dealer and tell them the problem you've had. If you can get the receipts from the work that was performed it wouldn't hurt. The dealer can also check to see if any TSB's - technical service bulletin's have been posted for your vehicle. For best results it's best to give them your VIN and then you'll get every recall/TSB fix that applies to you.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 15:27   #3 (permalink)

Good luck with getting dealer to fix it. My dealer here, Stu Evans Lincoln Mercury, clinton township mi, quality of repairs is very poor. I had 02 explorer rear end rebuilt by them and 15 months later started to whine, they said no. past the 12/12 warranty. Stay away from that dealer.

My advice, dump it if you dont have payments. Ford's quality just screwed my kids vacation. Tranny 5r55w pooped at 101k. $$$.. Never had one go out that early. If i did not owe money, would have dumped it. Ford suv's suck in quality. I have big list of problems above and beyond normal wear and tear. will never buy ford suv or crossover...junk..

anyway, my 2 cents worth...
Fixorrepairdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 14:06   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixorrepairdly View Post
Ford suv's suck in quality.
That's why I have a Dodge Durango....

But anyway, I'm sure the dealer didn't do the install properly just to necessitate another repair after the short warranty you were given. I'd NEVER get gears done at a dealer. They don't take the time to mesh the gears properly. Not to mention most don't tell you about a break in period of about 50 miles.

It's best to go to a specialty shop if your warranty is over with. Yukon Gear is one of several good manufacturers on the market and offer several ratios to choose from - not to mention a REAL locking differential, not those posi types.

For those with 2wds you have the potential to outrun some 4x4's in the white stuff with a locking differential.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator