Ford Forums banner

2002 Ford Explorer -- P1400 code (DPFE sensor)

80K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
My '02 Explorer with a 4.0L engine posted a P1400 code at 83K miles. From poking around this forum, I understand that I probably need a DPFE sensor.

I've read about a dozen times they are easy to change and it can be done in under 5 minutes... the problem is I'm not a mechanic and I don't where to locate the sensor.

Can anybody describe to me where to find it? Or if you are really feeling generous, can somebody post a digital pic of where it is located?

Also, once I change the sensor... will the "Service Engine Soon" light turn off or do I have to pay somebody to clear the code?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Hi
Disconnecting the battery works sometimes, but you'll have to leave it for long periods of time. Also, after a number of drive cycles (that I can't remember exactly) if the PCM doesn't see a problem with the DPFE it will turn the light off on its own. Other than that...scanner. cheers

marc

#7 ·
Regarding this DPFE sensor change for the 2002 Explorer. Did you guys just change the sensor or the sensor plus the two connecting hoses. I've tried just pulling the DPFE out of the hoses, but have had a heck of a time getting it out. I don't want to yank on it too hard as I'm afraid I might crack the ERG tubes.

Just wondering if I should just cut the hoses off to remove the sensor. If so, am I able to get these small replacement hoses at any auto parts store?

Thanks

#11 ·
I'd check the hoses first. If they get loose with age, they leak and the exhaust blows past the connection and melts them. You can check for a plugged cat with a vacuum gauge. Connect it to the engine and run the RPMs up to around 2500. The vacuum should drop from aprox. 20" to apporx. 8" and go back up to apporx. 18". If the vacuum stays low, your exhaust is plugged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.