2002 mountaineer door sensor problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 11:48   #1 (permalink)

2002 mountaineer door sensor problem

I'm not sure what is bad in the driver,s sidedoor. The manual door lock switch doesn't work sometimes (Open the door all the way it does work & when cool), the door ajar light stays on,& the light under the side rearview mirror is dim. I just need to to know what to order so I can replace it. everything else works the dock locks & unlocks with the pass switch and keyless entery button.
grivolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 13:20   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2002 mountaineer door sensor problem

First, spray WD40 on the door latch and open and close the door a few times. That will probably take care of the dome light. As for the the door lock switch, try swirching with the passengers side and see if it works. That would tell you the switch is bad. If it doesn't, and as you said the door opened all the way makes it work, theat would indicate a problem with the wires in the hinge area. Flexing them by opening the door makes them reconnect.
Old 05-31-2010, 14:08   #3 (permalink)

I'm more inclined to think it's a wire problem more then anything else. Is there somekind of relay that they all go through. that may be bad? As I open the door the lock works and the light under the side mirror brightens up. All these problems happened within a day so I'm thinking they are more likely linked then seperate issues
Old 05-31-2010, 17:40   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The wires run through the hinge area and after flexing they can break. That's where I'd start looking.
Old 06-01-2010, 15:30   #5 (permalink)

Hear another thing it does with the key in the run position the driver's side door look works. the door ajar is intermentent. With the key off and the doors closed the truck makes that dinging noise when the keys are left in the ignition. Could it be the electronic part of the ignition switch?
Old 06-01-2010, 18:23   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

No, the dinging is because it thinks the door is open. The problem has to be in that hinge area.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:57   #7 (permalink)

I still working on this but if you turn the interior lights off by the switch everything works great. Another thing I found with the cold weather the rear defroster turns on the interior lights & door ajar on the dash which is making me think I should be looking for a short instead of a broken wire. Turn off the lights also fixes this problem as well.
Old 10-23-2010, 18:22   #8 (permalink)

Lightbulb Re: 2002 mountaineer door sensor problem

I had a similar problem with the puddle lamps/interior light staying on (and consequently flattening the battery after a very short time), and used a quick squirt of DWF/WD40 on all the door locks. Worked a treat, but yours certainly sounds like a short somewhere.

Just curious if you did try DW40 or the like to see if that might help with that immediate problem.

Cheers,

Rick
Cairns, OZ.
Old 12-01-2010, 14:51   #9 (permalink)

sometimes I can grab the harness in the hing area and get it to work
Old 12-01-2010, 17:08   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Sounds like a broken wire in that area.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator