2002 XLT trasmission whine - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 10:39   #1 (permalink)

2002 XLT trasmission whine

New to the forum and looking for some help. I have already had the tranny replaced at 52k miles under my extended warranty - best money I ever spent. Anyway, since the new tranny, I get a whine or whistling noise anywhere between 40 and 55 mph. It is not consistent, but occurrs pretty often. I have been back 3 times for the dealer to fix. They just replaced the throttle body convinced that would do it. Turns out I definitely needed this done as they found rubber bits in it, but it did not solve the noise problem. There are only 2k miles on the new tranny.

It is currently at the dealer now and my extended warranty runs out on Monday and they are telling me that even if they cant fix it, once my warranty runs out I'm on the hook for any other repairs. Anybody have a similar problem or a possible solution? thanks in advance.
2002 XLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 19:02   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2002 XLT trasmission whine

First off, as you pointed out that there is a possible problem with the transmission that was recently installed, the dealer has an obligation to fix it. If need be, get another dealers opinion as Ford work can be conducted at any dealer, not just the one that did the transmission swap in the first place.

Throttle body and transmission are two very different parts. I've never heard of a throttle body make a 'whine' sound. I know my Dodge (which are notorious for trans problems with the band versions (42/44/46RE series). Anyway. If I put my Durango in neutral, the transmission fluid flows through the valvebody, where as in 'park', no fluid is transferred and is therefore a bit noisy when in neutral instead of park.

I just hope the dealer didn't cheapen out and re-use the old transmission fluid. It's been known to happen as the dealers get the money directly from Ford, but instead of giving you fluid they re-use the old stuff and pocket the difference for themselves. Just some food for thought at least.

One final test is to keep the transmission locked out of overdrive and drive at 40-60mph and see if there is a noise difference compared to driving that same speed range with over drive 'on'. RPM's will be higher but the engine can handle it for hours on end without problems so don't let that concern you. If the noise is not present let the dealer know as it might be an over-drive related problem. I'm not positive, but there may be a solenoid that they can change out if that's the case.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 14:39   #3 (permalink)

Thanks 360 CI. I spoke with the dealer today at 1pm and they still had not even looked at it. It has been sitting in the lot since thursday night and of course there are still no loaner cars available. Hopefull I will hear somthing tomorrow.

If they have not figured out the problem, I will try the overdrive test. I think they did change the trans fluid. They did this when I first complained about the noise, when that didn't fix it then they did the throttle body. I will post when I get the truck back.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:16   #4 (permalink)

Just spoke to the dealer. Supposedly the tranny is fine and the whine is from the rear wheel bearings. $765 to repair because for some reason it is not covered under my extended warranty. Not too happy today.
Old 05-12-2009, 20:28   #5 (permalink)

I know this is a old post but did you ever fix your problem? I ask because there was a TSB to go to a different weight fluid. This fixed my whine. I would also have them change the trans fluid and filter. This improved my shifting and made quieter.
mralex714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator