Ford Forums banner

2003 Explorer EB starting problem

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  d-generation-x 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie bauer 4.0. Ever since recently the truck has been giving me a problem when starting up on cold days. After sitting over night, or sometimes after a temperature drop the truck will crank but not start. When it doesn't do that, it makes a loud humming noise and clicks, and then on the second try, it will start right up, I've recently taken it to ford and they said that the fuel pump was faulty, we've had the fuel pump, fuel filter, battery, and starter changed but the problem is still persisting. I don't know a lot about cars, but I'm hoping to find a solution to the problem, i appreciate all of the help in advance, thanks.

#6 ·
If you know how to, or know someone who knows how to use a voltage meter, check voltage to ground at the starter, if you're getting 11.5VDC or better, you may be losing the ground on the starter. If your voltage is dropping, the relay, even though you hear it click, may not be passing full voltage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.