Ford Forums banner

2003 Explorer rear-end humming

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Johnny Mullet 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2003 Explorer XLT and I am noticing a humming sound coming from the rear-end area while driving. The sounds is most audible while between the speeds of 50 and 70 and ONLY makes a sound while the gas pedal is being pushed. The sound instantly goes away when I take my foot off the accelarator and gets less loud if I accelarate....but if I just have my foot on the gas to maintain speed the sound becomes unbearable. I have seen other threads with this issue, but must of them were posted a couple of years ago so I was wondering if there is any new information about the problem and possible Ford TSB on the issue. I need to try and find out how serious this is within the limited 30 day warranty the dealer provided. It is not a Ford dealer so I need good info. Thanks,

#3 ·
paabbott said:
Update...

I was able to go out to Alldata.com and find the following TSB from Ford. 05-23-3 Nov 05. Sounds like the title matches my symptoms. Anyone know what this TSB says?
Don't know on the TPS but the hum is probably ring gear-pinion noise--out of tolarence--might also be a rear wheel bearing--after driving it some distance at highway speeds, stop and slide under the car and feel both sides near backing plates--feel center section--should be warm but not hot--be-careful no telling how hot they might be---bobr19

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.