2003 Ford Explorer Limited V8 4x4 issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 15:34   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 2003 Ford Explorer Limited V8 4x4 issues

I just recently bought a 2003 Ford Explorer Limited V8 and 4x4. The dealer told me about an issue with the AdvanceTrac light constantly blinking and the ABS light is always on. I have a confirmation from the ford dealer they took it to that there is no replacement part, that is now obsolete and not needed. I do have an appointment with another ford dealer, but as they say they have to diagnose it again for a fee of 97.95. I really need some advice before I put more money into the vehicle. Is there a way I can shut it off without taking it in? The dealer said I can go anywhere to shut them off but sadly everywhere I called they said I couldn't I should go directly to ford.

Also there is a message saying that says Tire Pressure System Fault. I am not sure if that is cause the tires need replacing or the actual pressure is off. I have checked the pressure and according to the book it is spot on.

Thank you very much for your time.
MotaAngelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 18:57   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2003 Ford Explorer Limited V8 4x4 issues

Would need to know what codes are in the system. Unfortunately a place like autozone cannot pull abs trac. codes. The tire pressure light is a separate system on that vehicle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 19:07   #3 (permalink)

mad Re: 2003 Ford Explorer Limited V8 4x4 issues

Ok and there is no way to check the codes of course it seems anything so far dealing with sensors or the computer it has to go to ford directly.

Thank you for replying I guess I will just see what happens tomorrow at ford here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-clar View Post
Would need to know what codes are in the system. Unfortunately a place like autozone cannot pull abs trac. codes. The tire pressure light is a separate system on that vehicle.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:28   #4 (permalink)

I have been to the ford shop and they said i had to get the Steering Angle Sensor replaced before they can test anymore because it is not initializing. But the part is obsolete and now it will cost 214 for the part and at least 150 in labor. Also they are not 100% that this will fix the problem.

The original report I found from the dealer does have 2 error codes:
C1998
C2777
And it states the "Accelerometer bad part obsolete"

Can anyone help me find these codes and the meaning. And is there a cheaper way to replace an obsolete part cause i don't think I can pay $400 and it may or may not fix the problem.
Old 11-13-2013, 16:02   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

I will try and remember to write down definitions tomorrow at work. I don't use a PC at home so no access

Old 11-13-2013, 16:33   #6 (permalink)

Ok thank you r-clar. I am looking for the part cause I am sure I can get it for cheaper but it is hard it seems the part is nonexistent.

Is it very hard to replace the steering angle sensor they said it was in the clock spring in the steering column?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:26   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Sorry I spaced this one. Made a note to check after lunch

Old 11-16-2013, 18:35   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) C2777 Definition
C2777 Sensor Cluster Bus Failure | Pdf Repair Manual Download

C1998: Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) C1998 Definition
Sorry, not sure how to interpret that one.
Old 11-18-2013, 20:09   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

Sorry for spacing this one some more. Thanks Catskinner for the DTC info. The c1998 should be resolved once the other is taken care of. The first code could be from the steering angle sensor loosing its calibration. It's kind of a long shot but did the dealer try an IVD initialization sequence that you know of?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:41   #10 (permalink)

Sorry for losing track of my post.

I am not sure what exactly the IVD initialization sequence is but they ran a test and the steering angle sensor (yaw) was registering at -1700 degrees and not at 0 like it should. They then told me they can not finish testing til that part was replaced cause it was a part that needed to register first. I think I found a part number but I am not sure if it is the right part. 3L2Z-3C187-AA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator