2003 Lincoln Aviator Driver window regulator - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 13:44   #1 (permalink)

2003 Lincoln Aviator Driver window regulator

The cable snapped and got all wound up inside in the driver's window regulator. I've been to a bunch of parts stores and none seem to have the front left, but the have the motor and regulator for every other window.

Online all the other window's motor and regulator go for $70-$80, but the driver's is $225+! What is going on?

I'm about to go check out salvage yards but Aviators are hard to find in local yards. Does anyone know if the Explorer or Mountaineers use the same window regulator?
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 21:54   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2003 Lincoln Aviator Driver window regulator

Check here: RockAuto Auto Parts or Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

I can't see why an Explorer motor wouldn't work. Check photos out online (provided they're not generic) and if they're similar I'd order one if I were you. Worst case you can check with a dealer for a replacement part, although the cost will be much higher then anything you can find online. Ebay can also be good, but you need to fish a bit on the seller and terms.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38   #3 (permalink)

Thank you and happy new year!

Dealer wants $371+tax, and no go at local salvage yards as well.

I went to Dorman's website and found they make the regulator itself without the motor. Googled for that part # and came up for sale via Orielly's but out of stock. Called them up and I have to special order it $60something+$9 frieght. Also just found the exact same Dorman part #740-813 on rockauto for $43.79!

But thanks to Dorman's & Orielly's site, which listed other vehicles the regulator fits, I'm going to head back to the salvage yards. Only because I need the part ASAP.

For future reference 2006-02 Explorer 4-Door Except Sport Trac, 2006-02 Mountaineer, 2005-03 Aviator

Side Note: While looking at other vehicles regulators and motors, I noticed the Aviator's motor has 6 pins, while other vehicles had 2 pins. You think that would be the reason why the driver's door is more expensive (and hard to find) than the others?
Old 01-05-2013, 16:47   #4 (permalink)
canuck

The difference in pins might be due to any additional security features, and/or the "auto up/down" on the drivers window and even the front passenger window as well which will add to the wiring complexity.

I'm not sure if you can do it with this line of vehicles, but if you use the drivers key and unlock the door once, and turn it again, it unlocks the other doors on my '00 Durango! I just thought it was neat as I didn't know I could do that until I did it by accident!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 18:25   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
The difference in pins might be due to any additional security features, and/or the "auto up/down" on the drivers window and even the front passenger window as well which will add to the wiring complexity.

I'm not sure if you can do it with this line of vehicles, but if you use the drivers key and unlock the door once, and turn it again, it unlocks the other doors on my '00 Durango! I just thought it was neat as I didn't know I could do that until I did it by accident!
Probably has to do with the auto up/down. But does that really warrant an extra $150-$250?

And for unlock/unlock all, a lot of cars do that. I know for some cars, usually german vehicles, if you unlock and hold it it will roll down the windows. Also if you lock and hold it, it rolls up the windows.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41   #6 (permalink)

Follow up.

The doorman 740-813 regulator does not fit the aviators window motor!

I received the regulator and the holes for the screws don't match up for the aviators window motor. I called up doorman and the tech said it was the second report they've received with the same issue. I was thinking about drilling through the motor bracket to make holes for the screws but 2 minutes later I got a call back from doorman. Same tech informed me that he spoke with an engineer and said no matter what I do it wouldn't work out. He also told me they'll be updating their catalog to fix the issue since their site states that regulator is compatible with the aviator. So props to doorman for being attentive and taking care of their customers!

I found the OEM regulator (wlra-36) on amazon for $175 With motor which should be coming in today.

I'll report back if I run into more issues!
Old 01-22-2013, 17:01   #7 (permalink)

Ramacher, et al, my Dorman 740-813 was probably the first to be reported to have a problem a couple of weeks ago and you are correct in that it can't be made to fit the 03 Aviator LH front door. It was a good buy, but too good to be true I guess.

The fordparts.com site for the 2003 Lincoln Aviator (Buy 2003 Lincoln Aviator Parts | FordParts.com)

shows a front manual window regulator which has 23200 (WLRA-36) next to it as the part number. It also shows a front power window regulator which has 23208 as the part number. The dealer says that the 23208 is definitely the correct part for the 03 Aviator LH Front (Driver) door, but the actual reference number is 23201.

The listing as a manuel doesn't make much sense. Was there ever a manual window option in this vehicle? And why is it listed with a motor if so?

The main reason I bring this up is that I also looked on the Amazon site for the same part. It has a couple of potential solutions:

1. A Motorcraft WLRA36 Power Window Motor Gear. Is this the Manual (wrong) one corresponding to the WLRA (23200) version? Is this the one you bought Ramacher? If so, any success?

Motorcraft WLRA36 Power Window Motor Gear : Amazon.com : Automotive Motorcraft WLRA36 Power Window Motor Gear : Amazon.com : Automotive

2. An ACI 83156 Power Window Motor and Regulator Assembly (only $68.75). It states Front Left. Anybody have any experience with ACI parts? Anybody using this one in their vehicle? I hope this isn't a Dorman in disguise.

ACI 83156 Power Window Motor and Regulator Assembly : Amazon.com : Automotive ACI 83156 Power Window Motor and Regulator Assembly : Amazon.com : Automotive

3. An ACDelco 11A79 Professional Front Side Door Window Regulator Assembly. Picture looks just like the others.

ACDelco 11A79 Professional Front Side Door Window Regulator Assembly : Amazon.com : Automotive ACDelco 11A79 Professional Front Side Door Window Regulator Assembly : Amazon.com : Automotive

Thanks for any feedback. I've been without being able to use my window for way too long.
avi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 18:26   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Tasca parts shows a right regulator for $80.14 and a core charge so they must be rebuilt parts. 2003 LINCOLN AVIATOR Parts - TascaParts.com
Old 01-22-2013, 19:05   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the information Bert. The left front (driver) door which is the most used, and most likely to fail as it has on mine, is $229. I don't know why the driver door regulator costs so much more (this is the case everywhere). It should be made pretty much the same as the RF door. All of the auto-up/down mechanisms should be in the motor controller.
avi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 19:59   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to see what's available near you.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator