2004 Explorer Battery Drain - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 19:02   #1 (permalink)

2004 Explorer Battery Drain

Had a dead battery about a week ago, so I replaced the battery because it was 4 years old and at the same time had the alternator checked to make sure it was in good shape (which it was). Two days later, the new battery was dead. If I jump it off, everything works and the alternator charges the battery.

I disconnected the ground from the battery and hooked up an ammeter between the ground cable and ground post and read a current draw of about 0.6A. After pulling fuses I narrowed down the draw to two circuits. Fuse #15 in the power distribution box is worth about 0.5A, and fuse #3 in the passenger compartment fuse panel is worth about 0.1A. If both are out, the ammeter reads between 0.005A and 0.010A, which I think is reasonable.

Fuse #15 is labeled in the book as Memory(PCM/DEATC/Cluster), Courtesy lamps. I checked to see if all the lamps were off, which they were. So far, I have been unable to find any issues with any of the other components, although when the car would not start due to the battery being low, the gauges would dance around in the lower part of their range for a few seconds and then shut off.

Fuse #3 is labeled as Radio / DVD / Amplifier. I do have an aftermarket radio, so I disconnected it and the 0.1A draw is still present. The car came equipped with the factory subwoofer, but I have not removed the panel to check and see it that is causing the draw since I want to find the large draw first.

I have been removing the fuses at night and the battery stays good, so I feel confident that the problem lies in one of these circuits. When the car is running, everything works and I have not had any blown fuses.

What I am looking for is info about what these two circuits power and if there are any common failures before I got tearing into the dash to check the currents in individual wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
tmerriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 14:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2004 Explorer Battery Drain

I have the same problem except when I tried to start it after three days and the 3 month old battery was totally dead, the bitch wouldn't start.

The PCM lost it's memory and I had to pay a locksmith 180.00 to come out and make a new key and re-program the PATS.

I'll be working on it tomorrow. When I find out what's up I'll send you a post.

I renamed the truck to Ford Exploder. :-)
dejavouxdoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 20:11   #3 (permalink)

Re: 2004 Explorer Battery Drain

disconnect the factory amp for the sub and that will likely take care of your issue very common issue we see here at the dealer.
makuloco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator