2004 Mountaineer Noise and Issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 19:16   #1 (permalink)

2004 Mountaineer Noise and Issue

I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer Premier that just turned 112,000 miles. It is the AWD with the 4.6L.

The problem that I am having is a wub-wub-wub sound that increases with speed and gets louder when turning left (initially it was only heard when turning left, now it is slightly noticable when driving straight as well as turning left). It is not the classic "clicking" sound of a bad CV shaft but a wub-wub that increases with speed as well. It seems to be coming from the front left or center of the vehicle (sound is really only noticable from inside the vehicle). It has gradually gotten louder over the past few weeks. Both front wheel bearing hubs were replaced about 6 months ago and the left rear wheel bearing was replaced about a month ago. The brake rotors do not appear to have any warping in them and they are not rubbing on the dust shields (all four replaced a little over a year ago). Tires are newer with about 10-15k miles on them.

In addition to the sound, over the past two weeks the ABS has been going off occasionally when moisture is on the roads (however it will not throw a code for me so I can get it checked with a scanner) and yesterday and today the Advance Trac dash light would blink occasionally and it would adjust something as I felt it engage when driving straight (on dry pavement) which is new. The Advance Trac light would not stay on, and the system would only engage for a short second and then everything would go back to normal. My wife did state that a little over a week ago it did throw an ABS code (where the dash light came on and stayed on) and then the AWD locks out and the Advance Trac shuts off automatically until the ABS light went out (when she restarted it later in the day coming home).

Thank you for any help as this noise has been drving me nuts for some time now.
ameration is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 07:13   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2004 Mountaineer Noise and Issue

No excessive play / movement at any of the wheels ? Does sound like a bearing noise from what you describe but other possiblities .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
No excessive play / movement at any of the wheels ? Does sound like a bearing noise from what you describe but other possiblities .
No play at any of the wheels. that is why it is driving me nuts as it is not the obvious bearing issue.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:58   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I wonder if it could be this

Quote:
TSB 06-4-4

03/06/06
LIMITED SLIP AXLE CHATTER, SHUDDER, BINDING
SENSATION, OR VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED
TURNING MANEUVERS

FORD:
2002-2004 Mustang, Explorer
2003-2004 Expedition
2004 F-150

LINCOLN:
2003 Navigator

MERCURY:
2002-2004 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 06-02-16 to update the Service Procedure.
ISSUE
Some 2003-2004 Expedition, 2003 Navigator, 2004 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 9.75" or 8.8" limited slip rear axle, and 2002-2004 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer, and Mustang vehicles equipped with 8.8" limited slip rear axle may exhibit a chatter shudder, a binding sensation, or a vibration during low speed turns. On 4X4 vehicles, the sensation may appear to be originating from the front axle or the steering gear.

ACTION
First verify the condition. On 4X4 trucks ensure that the vehicle is in 2WD, to isolate the rear axle. On all vehicles, turn the wheel fully right (or fully left) and then accelerate the vehicle. If the condition is verified to be in the rear axle, replace the limited slip clutch pack.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:15   #5 (permalink)

I'm still at a loss. I have rotated the tires all around to elminate noise from one of the tires. Noise remains the same. Replaced the front wheel hub (in case it was a bad part) on the side that the noise was coming from, noise remains.

To top things off, not hte noise is happening when I turn to the right as well (this just started yesterday). I guess it is time to take it into a mechanic as I am lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator