2005 Explorer rear Differential Replacement Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 12:07   #1 (permalink)

2005 Explorer rear Differential Replacement Question

Hi,
I have a busted rear differential on a 2005 Explorer. I got a used differential that only needs to be bolted in, but the question I have is how to pull the semi axles out of the differential. Do they just come out, or is there a special procedure that will take them out. I am guessing i need to detach the semi axle on the side where the wheels are, and then pull it out of the differential.
Please let me know if that is correct and if not what the correct procedure is,
Thank you and any help is greatly appreciated.
kolnerspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 13:04   #2 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

Re: 2005 Explorer rear Differential Replacement Question

You will have to remove or at least loosen the rear knuckle and related components so it can swing freely. Remove the large nut holding the axle to the hub. Knock the axle out the back side of the hub. The axle should pop out of the diff if you can get a big prybar between the diff and axle.
Old 07-14-2009, 13:39   #3 (permalink)

if I just remove the big bolt holding it to the hub, will i have enough space to drop it on one side and then pry it out of the differential?
Old 07-14-2009, 15:03   #4 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

You need the whole knuckle loose at either the top or bottom ball joint. Preferably the bottom. This allows the knuckle to be pulled towards you allowing room to push the axle out of the hub. The threaded shaft is to long to be pushed back through the hub with out doing this.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:47   #5 (permalink)

I just looked under the vehicle again. to be honest when you say knuckle i am not 100 percent sure what you are referring to. there is only one ball joint that i see which is on the top side of the hub. Now could i take out the screw that is holding the hub to the control arm. I am hoping the control arm keep the wheel in place. I am also hoping that if i remove the screw that is attached to the control arm that the spring will not decompress and fall out of place.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:49   #6 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

Here is a pic of the knuckle (it's the first pic on the page):

2005 explorer rear knuckle - Google Image Search

If you are unsure of what the knuckle/spindle is, I recommend that you get help with this repair or take it to someone qualified. I have been on that side of the coin, in the end, it will be much cheaper that way.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2009, 13:23   #7 (permalink)

Ohh, now I know what they are, i am not used to the terminology. I think i should be good now. thank you for your help. I think i will detach the knuckle from the control arm, and it should give me enough space to pull the axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator