2005 explorer thumping noise when it is slowing down - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 06:59   #1 (permalink)

2005 explorer thumping noise when it is slowing down

I am hoping that someone else has had this issue, my wife's 2005 explorer is making a thumping noise, almost like when you hit a bump or something on the road. It only happens when the truck slows down between 65-35mph and it stops when you accelerate. It isn't constant but once it happens it basically continues until the next time you drive it after it sit, has anyone had something similar?
ericj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 07:09   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2005 explorer thumping noise when it is slowing down

Might be worthwhile giving all wheels /tyres a spin , quick inspection for bulges / twists before getting involved in mechanical checks and at least eliminate that possible cause ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:17   #3 (permalink)

I was thinking along the same lines and just kind of go through the process of elimination but I was hoping that someone may have and the same issue so I could get some feedback on what they had to do. I am going to have the differential checked this week by my local ford dealer

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ericj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:28   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Is it AWD? I've read of others with similar problem after replacing only two tires on their AWD Explorers. Apparently the slight tread height difference is enough to cause shuddering and thumping issues.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 21:34   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
I am hoping that someone else has had this issue, my wife's 2005 explorer is making a thumping noise, almost like when you hit a bump or something on the road. It only happens when the truck slows down between 65-35mph and it stops when you accelerate. It isn't constant but once it happens it basically continues until the next time you drive it after it sit, has anyone had something similar?
The AWD or 2wd tire diameter won't matter between axles as long as all tires are the same size. plus or minus 1" diameter is acceptable. Full time 4wd takes that into account. Running on pavement in 4HI will bind the axles and can cause issues. Only quattro Audi and premium higher end AWD systems take tire diameter into account when it comes to braking and power transfer.

If you don't feel feedback through the steering wheel chances are good the problem is at the back. It could be a number of things, warped rotors, stuck caliper pistons that are slow to retract after you press the brake, the pads drag on the rotors. Irregularly worn brake pads can also be an issue.

To try to narrow it down, set the vehicle on axle stands, place the transfer case in neutral so you can turn each wheel independently. The axle gears and driveshafts will also move to better pinpoint the noise. I also wouldn't rule out early stages of a bad wheel bearing.

I have a Durango R/T AWD and that's what I would try to do to pinpoint the noise.

Other things to check is the pumpkin and transfer case gear oil/trans fluid levels.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator