2006 Explorer V8 Transmission Lurches - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 10:18   #1 (permalink)

2006 Explorer V8 Transmission Lurches

I just purchased a 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer with a 4.6L V8. The vehicle has just 18,000 miles on it but the transmission lurches unpredictably at slow speeds or when pulling away from a stop.

I have read many complaints on AutoBeef about the intermittent problem of the transmission lurching. Is there any known permanent fix?

Thanks, Steve
Steve57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 08:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2006 Explorer V8 Transmission Lurches

I had the same problem with my transmission. Dealer reflashed computer, don't know what that was all about, but the transmission problem went away. You may want to bring it to the dealers attention, should still be under warranty.

2007 Explorer EB w/4.6 V8
rervf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 15:25   #3 (permalink)

frown Re: 2006 Explorer V8 Transmission Lurches

Well here we go again. The 6 speed transmission problems have returned. When I stop my Explorer for a light, stop sign, etc. the tranny will give a noticable clunk and then lurch forward just after stopping. I had the tranny reflashed and it was good for a short time, but the same problems are back. Anybody know of a fix that my dealer may be overlooking? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:17   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rervf23 View Post
Well here we go again. The 6 speed transmission problems have returned. When I stop my Explorer for a light, stop sign, etc. the tranny will give a noticable clunk and then lurch forward just after stopping. I had the tranny reflashed and it was good for a short time, but the same problems are back. Anybody know of a fix that my dealer may be overlooking? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Ya. I have the same problem in 2006 Explorer V8-6 SPEED TRANNY as do many many others.The updating Software gig at the Dealerships don't work.
Apparrently the real problem is the 'Friction Plates" in the Clutching System.
The layers on the Plates are too thin and don't grip especially upon acceleration.
This needs to be OUT THERE.AND FORD NEEDS TO FIX THIS.
Please start the Ball.
FORDSUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 14:05   #5 (permalink)

I did return again to my dealership.This time the tech used another TSB which he said was a later version. It has been almost two months now, and the tranny problem has not returned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator