2007 Explorer won’t start intermittently - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator Forum for discussion of the Ford Explorer, Ford Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-13, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

2007 Explorer won’t start intermittently

I bought the vehicle two months ago and have put less than 1,000 miles on it, so I don’t have much history with it. Monday morning I went start it and everything lit up but it would not turn over or make any noise that I could hear, it was very cold out and it had been sitting for a day. I took my other car to work and bought a new battery after work. I got home and tried starting it with the old battery and it fired up.

I put a voltmeter on the old battery and I got 12.15 so I figured the problem was the battery and switched it out the new battery that read 12.66 and with the motor running 14.67. It started fine Tuesday morning it was -2 degrees. I worked an 11 hour day went to start the car and the problem was back. Lights on doesn’t turn over or make noise. I don’t think I even heard a click.

After trying several times I had someone come over to jump start me but I tried on more time BEFORE hooking up any cables and it fired right up. I got home and restarted it ten times and it started fine every time and the battery is reading 12.36 volts.

I’m not familiar with Explorers at all so I don’t know if there is a common problem or a certain part that could cause this. I know it could the starter. I wanted to check here before spending any more money. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-13, 06:04 AM
Moderators

Re: 2007 Explorer won’t start intermittently

I would watch to see if the theft light flashes rapidly when it doesn't start. Could be an anti theft issue or starter system issue

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-16, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Below zero temperatures are here and this problem is back again! When I put the key in dash light come on everything seems fine when try to start the engine it doesn't crank or turn over. The lights don't dim and it doesn’t seem like a dead battery, just to be sure I bought a new battery and I still have the same problem.

It will start and run fine in the afternoon when it’s a few degrees warmer but late night/early morning it’s completely unreliable.

The dashboard alarm light it on constant when I’m trying to start it.

It only happens on bitter cold days.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-16, 06:01 AM
Moderators

Check power to the small wire at the starter while someone holds the key. Or a smack with a hammer may help.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-16, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-clar View Post
Check power to the small wire at the starter while someone holds the key. Or a smack with a hammer may help.
Thanks for the response. I've set up a test light with alligator clips to check for power to the starter but the last two days have been warmer so there is no problem starting. Temperatures will be dropping next week so hopefully the problem will come back so I can check the power to the starter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-16, 07:33 PM

I have an 06 explorer and had the same problem. Turned out to be the instrument cluster. Had it replaced and works fine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-16, 11:36 AM
cj1

OP- good show using test light on starter relay circuit.
You have tried moving from park/neutral to test possible intermittent P/N switch?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-16, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Had some cold weather this past week but the problem did not comeback yet. Really makes me not want to drive the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67roadwhale View Post
I have an 06 explorer and had the same problem. Turned out to be the instrument cluster. Had it replaced and works fine.
WOW! I never considered that. Is there a way to test it to make sure that is the problem. I really don't want to start replacing unless I can tell it's bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1 View Post
OP- good show using test light on starter relay circuit.
You have tried moving from park/neutral to test possible intermittent P/N switch?
I plan to whenever the problem returns here's my list
of few things to try when the problem comes back. they are:
1. electric test light to small power wire on starter to see if power is being sent to starter.
2. moving shifter to test neutral safety switch.
3. trying different key
4. holding key in "crank" position to see if starter warms from current. if test light lights.
5. hairdryer only on starter. again if test light lights.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-16, 11:32 AM
cj1

OP -rereading your posts 'The dashboard alarm light it on constant when I’m trying to start it."

If this is the light for the PATS system( passive alarm that is factory standard) verify that it is off in the run position before starting. If it is blinking rapidly or on steady indicates PATS problem.

This had been mentioned before by r-clar but didn't see your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Mercury Mountaineer | Lincoln Aviator